Sea Apple question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathyjane

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone who has experience with Sea Apples? My apple stayed in the same little corner of the tank since I first put him in about 4 months ago. Now he's starting to move all over the tank. Any ideas? I put phytoplankton in the tank every couple of days.

When stressed or upon death they will release poision that will most likely kill everyhting in your tank. They can also release sperm/eggs into the water column that has the same affect.

I'm familiar with their bad side, but do they generally move around in the tank or stay in one place? He doesn't appear to have any ill side affects at this point. Looks very healthy, just moving around.

Have you changed around your powerheads lately or made any changes at all.. They generally do not pick up and move unless they are not happy with the current situation.. Usually the only reason they move after they settle is due to water quality or too much/too little flow.. What are your water parameters???

James

When I tested a few days ago it was as follows

PH 8.2
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

The only thing that has really changed is I added about 50 nassarius snails. I'm do for a water change, I'll do it after work today.

Salinity, 1.023. When the lights were out he was stretched way out, as soon as the timer kicked the lights on, he kind of sucked back in. But I've noticed that he's done that before.

When the lights were out he was stretched way out, as soon as the timer kicked the lights on, he kind of sucked back in. But I've noticed that he's done that before.
That seems like normal light shock in the am.. Ya know how it is when you wake up and turn on the lights real quick its kinda hard to open your eyes for the first few mins.. Thats the way that I can describe that.. As for your levels They all look like they should be in check.. I would watch the levels closely and do your water change tonight like planned.. Keep a close eye on the Apple.. It might be something that bothered him in that area at night ect.. I have no personal experience with them but I have read alot about them as I wanted one until I found that the bad vrs the good was not worth it in my case.. If your SG is tested with a normal plastic Hydrometer you are probably pretty safe where you are.. however if it was done with a refractometer then you want to bump it up to about 1.025.. The plastic ones can and have seemed to me to read a bit low... I will let others chime in with their opinions as well..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom