Sea Center Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diverdown69

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ladies and Gents, I just wanted to share this experience with you as it is directly related to our aquaria.
I have been gone on a survey trip for the last two days for my Mariculture Techniques course. We hit every shrimp and redfish farm from Corpus Christi to Galveston. We also hit a couple of aquariums in the process. One of them was Sea Center Texas in Lake Jackson, TX. As soon as I walkied in that place, I kicked myself in the butt for not taking the interview they offered me two years ago.
Anyway, they have this reef tank that is unlike any I have ever seen before. It is a 135-gallon fully live reef tank with just about every kind of Gulf coral imaginable. They had Xenia, polyps, carpet anemones, and about 800 pounds of LR in the tank. The lighting consisted of 8 PC's, two MH's and 8 UV bulbs in a small hood. The filtration consisted of a refugium that was under the main tank. Water movement was done with a small pump and a standpipe. You really had to see this to believe it. The filtration for the other (10000 gal) aquaria was equally impressive. They were even culturing octopus along side reef fish....there was a hatchery room that had spawning tanks for red drum, speckled sea trout, flounder, and even tarpon.
I wish they would open up another job position there...I would be first in line with my application...

Back
Top Bottom