Sea Horses and Sea Bunnies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jann Josh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been looking for some articles for sea horses and can't seem to find some so I starting this topic. Is it hard to keep sea horses in your tank. Will they live peacefully with other tank inhabitants specially damsels and clowns. What do these guys eat? I have seen some sea horses from my lfs and been wanting to get one or two. Another thing are the sea bunnies, I read that these are fascinating creature and would do well in any tank, so I also want to include these in my tank. Could anyone show me a picture of these animals and how to care for them. Thanks again.

Jchillin said:
Ahhh...Jann, seahorses are actually brine shrimp. I'm not sure what the bunnies are.

erm, i think you mean seamonkies.....

Will they live peacefully with other tank inhabitants specially damsels and clowns. What do these guys eat?

the answer is no, they are not going to live peacefully with those inhabitants. They do best in a "species only" tank. They are incredibly slow eaters and ponder each piece of food as if it is a work of art, before snicking it up. This trait alone, makes it difficult to keep them with most fish as they cannot compete for food. Also, they do not tolerate alot of current. Most saltwater tanks would have too much current for them. Seahorses eat brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and copepods mostly. Some require live food only.

Currently there are people that breed horses. The success rate is very low, like a max of 25ish will survive out of like 400 fry. These breeders get the CB horses to eat frozen mysis shrimp so it is easier to keep in the home aquarium. Seahorses require a turnover rate of no higher than 5x tank size an hour. The easiest horse for a beginner would be Hippocampus erectus. As stated above the tank mates you suggested will not be good for this animal as they are too aggressive and eat much faster. Ideal would be a species only tank, but you can have docile fish like blennies and gobies. You can also have corals that can't sting the seahorse or require a high flow, and absolutely no clams as they might clamp shut if the sh tried to hitch to it, inturn giving substantial damage to the sh.

Back
Top Bottom