Sea star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone know anything about the chocolate chip sea star, I know it is not reef safe but I think it would be interesting to have. Also what about a seahorse

Mckitrick said:
Anyone know anything about the chocolate chip sea star, I know it is not reef safe but I think it would be interesting to have. Also what about a seahorse

I now that chocolate chips get very big, that's about it. :) As for seahorses, they should be kept in a species-only tank with other seahorses or pipefish. If they're in with other fish, they are too slow to compete for food and usually starve. Or else they get picked on by other more mobile fish and then die. A lot of stories about seahorses end with "and then it died". They are very difficult to keep, so they are labeled for "expert" aquarists only. Even LFS have a hard time keeping them alive. I love seahorses, but I'm no where near qualified to keep them, and i know this.

I only know of 1 out of 5 of my LFS that's had seahorses and the owner is very experienced and his tanks have been running for 20 years! Raising seahorses takes a lot of commitment w/ time, maintenance, feeding, etc.

Just seahorse tanks aren't necessarily that super hard! You just have to realize what you are taking care of and committing to. You have to feed them multiple times daily and make sure to fees them just the right amount. Also make sure the water conditions are spot on 24/7. My lfs and I had a great long chat on it when he had in some rare seahorses that he cared for for 2 months in store

Ericwm said:
Can you put a star in a seahorse only tank?

IMO you should be ok with the star. They move so slow they would not be able to outcompete the seahorse. You should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom