Sea urchin question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, provided there's enough of a food source for the both of them (most typically consume algae, to include coraline algae).

hey there,
I have 3 sea urchins in my tank, i never see them during day light.
The come out when its dark and when my lights turn on the run and hide. pretty pointless if you ask me, snails might be better. Any opinions?

hey there,
I have 3 sea urchins in my tank, i never see them during day light.
The come out when its dark and when my lights turn on the run and hide. pretty pointless if you ask me, snails might be better. Any opinions?

Sea urchins are great cleaners, but can be rather annoying if you have frags in the tank. They tend to take stuff and move them or knock plugs out of rocks constantly.

But if you have no frags or you're not worried about resetting your plugs everyday, sea urchins are an amazing addition to your clean up crew and well worth the money.

What kind are you wanting? I have a long spine one that is great. Doesnt knock stuff over or bother anything. But he pokes the mess out of me if not careful. It eats tons of algae. But to keep two, you would just need enough food as stated above.

I have a black spine as well and he keeps my tank pretty clean. It doesn't knock anything over, only thing it ever did was eat the one yellow polyp I had as a hitchhiker. It's even pretty active during the day moving around the tank eating all the algae. It eats the coraline algae as well, but I don't view that as a bad thing since it has caused it to spread rapidly throughout my tank. It also eats any macro algae that escapes from my sump to the dt. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, and if my 150gal wasn't an acrylic tank I would put a few in there as well.

Back
Top Bottom