Sea Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
like down at the beach? probably not a good idea unless everything you have in your tank is from there, rock, livestock, etc.

added the fact that you dont know what the specs are unless you tested everytime and matched it to yours you have no idea what kind of disease or microorganisms you could bring into your tank

IMO, bad idea unless your whole tank is based off the place youre extracting water

Considering the possibilities for pollution and disease I would not suggest it. The only people who really do it are large aquariums because of the volume of water required. They have some serious filtration before they use it though. Has to be cleaned and steralized i believe.

I have a 250g tank on the way and was thinking of using seawater from the beach for my water changes as well as the salt for that size water change would be a substantial chunk of my salery. the plan is to only have local inhabitants in my tank but ppl have cautioned me againsed it saying it would bring desise ect I was thinking about puting it through a sand filter and posably through a uv steriliser for a day or 2 before ading it to the tank. would this be adiquit

No the uv sterilizer will not kill all pathogens that pass through it. And the sand bed wont either. It is strongly recommeded that you do not use natural sea water for your aquarium. It is suggested that you premix your own salt water for your aquarium. When someone said a large aquarium using natural water they ment 2000g+ tanks. You can take your chances and use the water. Good luck on whatever you do

If your getting from shore, I'd definitely say no way. Think about it, close to the shore you have people that swim there. People mean bacteria,ammonia, and other pollutants. That's a recipe for death for an aquarium. Now if you were going off shore by a few hundred yards, then it MIGHT be okay. Still a roll of the dice, but still safer then on the beach.

The last time I used natural seawater it was the worst nightmare I have ever seen in my years dealing with saltwater aquariums. My fishes were infected with ich in less than 24 hours almost overnight. Do not try that.

The problem with sea water is water quality.

Sea water doesn't remain constant. When it rains the salinity goes down. If the tide is running strong a lot of sediment can get kicked up into the water column. Also, if you store the water for a while before using it anything alive might die and reduce water quality some more.

We have a small local public aquarium in my area that here uses sea water in an "open" system. They house only flora and fauna from the area, and the overflow goes through some tide pools back into the ocean. The important thing to note, is they draw the water from 30'-60' deep where the water quality is a lot cleaner and more stable.

another reason to use a pre mix is quality, and balance of trace elements, calcium, magnesium, and other elements. Vital to your reef if you have one. Pre mix also promotes healthy slime coats on fish. If you cannot afford the water change for a 210, maybe sell it and try a 120 instead? Let us know what you do!

I have a 55 reef and I'm not gonna risk it by using sea water just wanna hear everyones opinion on the subject!

As far as trace elements i figured that sea water would have the best mix considering that is what were trying to copy when we mix our own...

But in general this thread was just to hear everyones opinions and see if anyone has had any success with sea water.

I did find it informative, but am glad to hear you are not going to take a chance with sea water!

Back
Top Bottom