Seachem Purigen bag Leaked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Well I was noticing some bleaching on one of my oldest SPS (m. Digitada) and thought it was due to the recent move up higher in the system so I moved it back down to the Sand bed... While doing some tank maintainence I decided to check my "BAG" of purigen and noticed that It was completely empty.. I looked over the bag and found that there was a hole in one of the seams... I am a bit upset as It seems as though my M. Digitada is toast.. I am crossing my fingers that none of the other stuff gets affected by this as I will be having more than just a word full with Seachem... As of this moment I will NEVER use another Seachem product... Does anyone know how toxic this could be or any steps on ridding my tank of this nasty stuff... I dont want to Loose any more of my corals... GOD I AM UPSET... It seems as though the bleaching that I thought looks now like RTN... Grrrr. Someone help me please..... I really dont feel like loosing my new tort or Acro Colonies..

TIA,
James

When I first used my Purigen, I simply put it in the sump without bracing it against anything. Well when I came in the next day I noticed the tank was cloudy. Looking around I saw that the Purigen bag had floated over to the intake of my sump pump. Well the pump had sucked about 1/5 of those Purigen "balls" right out of the bag. I preceded to do a water change immediately and it seemed to clear the tank up pretty quickly. I don't know if it was because the majority of it was removed, or it simply settled. I haven't worried about it too much since then because of the small amount that was introduced into the tank.

I am really not sure about the toxicity of the product when left in the tank for longer than it is intended for. You may want to get in touch with Seachem and see what they have to say. Here is their page for contact info:
http://www.seachem.com/contact/contact.html

I doubt it is toxic at all, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use it in the tank in the first place. If it sits in the tank, the biggest danger would be from it leaching the toxins it's taken up over time. I would look to a different cause of the bleaching/RTN. If the digi was moved drastically higher in the tank, that could be the cause, temp spike could be the cause, and sometimes we don't know what the cause was, it's just coincidence that you noticed the bag empty. More than likely it was empty within a few hours of being placed in the sump.

digi was moved drastically higher in the tank, that could be the cause
Ahh it was only moved up about 3" at the Max... I really didnt think that would do it but...
temp spike could be the cause
I know this didnt happen.. My thermometer yells at me if it goes above 82f. I havent heard that thing going off except when I pull out the Probe.. LOL.. Yes I am usually home 24/7...

Well I will just chalk it up as a loss.. Now that the lights came on it looks more like bleaching again... I guess I will leave it in the tank and see what happens..

James

I just heard back from Seachem and they said that Its pretty much safe but The particles could have irritated the Corals and Caused the issues.. I am going to monitor the Corals.. It only seems as though 2 of them are affected.. My Purple digitada and my :( Blue Tort :( They said to let them know as to what happens with the corals over the next couple days and let them know a monetary amount for the losses that happen...

James

Back
Top Bottom