Seaclone Modifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N8WI

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok
I have owned a Seaclone for about one and a half years. It has worked alright so far, but now that I have it on my 55 gallon I would like to see some more from it. I have heard sever things to do to the skimmer. One is adding an air stone at the very bottom, thus creating more bubbles. Another getting a new powerhead and creating more bubbles and power going through the skimmer. Or just adding an air valve to the end of the air tube. And then there was something with the collection cup either making it higher or lower. I was just wondering if anyone had done any of these modifications or done one of their own mods. I would like to hear from anyone that has any advice, stories, or maybe a few suggestions.
Thanks
Nate

I actually tried most of those things. I tried to remove the inner lower tube to cut it off because supposedly the longer contact time would help. The tube was glued in and broke while trying to remove it. I then tried go ahead and save it by adding the air stone(I drilled a small hole below the inspection cup and ran the air hose then sealed hole with silicone.) No joy. I also had a gang valve to get better control of the air intake. They just suck generally. I had a maxi-jet 1200. I had a constant stream of bubbles into my tank and several overflowings of the collection cup. I strongly suggest that if it works at all you should probably either leave it alone or sell it and upgrade. IMO

Ditto, I hate this skimmer!!! I am very much looking forward to getting my new AquaC EV-120 when I can afford it, hopefully sooner than later!!!

HTH, Joshua...

I've been fiddling w/ mine for about 9 months and it still only works occasionally, what a PITA! I've come to the conclusion that I should have saved and bought a Remora like everyone said!!!

for a smaller tank (10-30 gallons) these skimmer work if adjusted carefully and darn-near constantly. i recently did try the shortening of the inner riser tube modification and i broke the tube ouot as well. i just shortened it an inch or so and epoxied the tube back in place. now it seems to be skimming much better. these are NOT the crappiest skimmers but for the price they sure are a ripoff.
i think after shortening the riser tube it works as well as my friend's old cpr backpak. im only running it on a 29 gallon reef and i woukdnt dare try it on anything larger.

Glad my tank came with a custom. Just be glad you didn't get the Prism.. they tried using one of those on the tank listed below... *shakes head*... I really felt sorry for them :p

i didnt pay for my seaclone either - it was a gift. but hey, it skims... you just need to make sure its adjusted, broken in, modified, and you need to pray constantly...not too bad :D
why did marineland ever make such a crappy thing?!

Mine needs everyday attention too, but so does the whole tank.
I will do all of the modifications as soon as I have a litle more time on hand.
But I'm saving up for a new one anyway.

I use one of those valves like they used to use to regulate the flow of I.V.'s Those rolling wheel things on my Seaclone.

Only time I get bubbles with it is if its been off for a few days, and theres no more slime in it. I use a Maxijet 1200 to.

Its a pain to get the valve into the right spot, but other then that...runs like a champ.

nice! whered you find a valve like that?
i use a lee's airline valve - got it at the LFS. it works okay, but its hard to adjust to the perfect spot. once its going though, it runs well too. just keep on adjustin...

i use this nifty air valve on the end of the airline, after the lee's blue-colored valve. it has an air filter and extremely precise air control. to top it off, it came with my marineland penguin 1140 powerhead. its pretty dumb of marineland to include such a nifty valve (i wish i could show a pic) for their vennturi powerhead but NOT for their protein skimmers!
HINT HINT to any marineland execs! ahahhahaha

Back
Top Bottom