Seaclone Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gozetec02

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok tonight i broke down and bought a quality skimmer. The only problem is that it did not come with the cap that covers the collection cup. Is this normal or was it suposed to be included in the package? And will the missing lid hinder the function?

I set it up and got it running in 15 minutes. Adusted the venturi valve to let some air in and the water in the tube turned white with bubbles. Now there are millions of tiny little bubbles in the tank. Are the bubbles normal?

The cap should be there? The bubbles are normal and should disperse in a month or so. However the seaclone is know for putting micro bubbles back into the tank!

did you buy a seaclone?
I have one and want to change, too many bubbles and constant adjustment needed. The cup should come with it and it won't work at all without it.

i had to adjust the skimmer constantly in order to keep my tank buble free. I can't imaging that thing is working better without the lit.

who told you a SeaClone was a quality skimmer? compared to a Prizm...sure. but a CPR, Aqua C, or anything else is pretty much a higher caliber skimmer than the SeaClone.
If you keep it, I suggest you check these forums for some modifications you can make to maximize it's effectiveness. Its probably gonna be just fine for a 20gallon tank, but make this your last SeaClone purchase to avoid future frustrations.

And yes, all skimmers have a cup, and without the cup, the skimmate won't be collected. it'll either dump back into the tank, or make a mess all over the floor.

The skimmer should have come with the cup cover. I think it should work without the cover on the cup. Be careful of overflows. I used to use the Seaclone 100 on my first reef tank. They do not get favorable reviews here but I never had any trouble with mine. It is fussy but once it is broken it it will skim like crazy. If you notice tiny bubble shootign out of it just close the air valve completly and try it again in few days. It will sttart to work sooner or later. (although, it may be later). Good luck... Lando

I emailed Marineland and they are sending me a lid for free. I may try one of the mods. There are alot of mixed feelings about this skimmer. Some swear by it and some curse it. I will have to try it and see for myself. My LFS where I buy all my live stock swears by the seaclone and have them in all their sumps.

The lid is what collects the skim bubbles & lets them overflow into the collection cup. Without the lid, the bubbles will burst & send "stuff" everywhere.
:(
I have a 150 on my 29-gal, but with 3 fish in there, there's not much of a bioload to keep up with.

The lid will be here next week so it will be working then. There is a mod that you can drill a hole in the lid and put a limewood airstone in side the inner tube to create more bubbles of you need but you can create the same effect of adding more bubble by hooking up the venturi line to your air pump.

I checked on the same modifications and found a good article about it. Check it out and see what you think. So far my sea clone is doing well with regular adjusting, but I am still considering shortening the collection cup tube and the riser tube. Good luck and let me know if these mods help if you get to it before I do. You may need to copy and paste to get to this specific sight.

http://reefcentral.com/diy/seaclone_modifications.htm

Erik

Back
Top Bottom