Seaclone Protein Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am lookin into purchasing my first protein skimmer and was curious as to what everyone thinks of the Seaclone protein skimmer.

I had one and it didn't work well as a HOB, but in the sump it worked pretty good. It produced more in the sump than it did as a HOB. If it is for a 20G, you will be fine. These are not rated for very large tanks IMO.

Mike

I used one in my first reef and it worked great. They do get less then favoriable reviews here. for the money it does a good job. It is fussy and has a longer-then-normal break-in period. If you want to spend the extra $$$ there are some nicer units out there.

Thanks for the help...I think that I am going to invest in this as it does not cost much and i just need something to keep my water quality up while i am at college and wont be able to do as many water changes.

there are some modifications you can do to a seaclone to make it work more efficiently. it should be ok for a 20gallon.
buy it online though. Retail stores always want at least $100 for it, and it's not worth that much.

Ya i found a plce that was selling it for 70 and that seems with reason to me....what kind of modifications would you recommend?

do a search on the forums for seaclone. I'd also look in the Hardware and DIY sections below.

One mod is making the cup adjustable, though I think they may have already fixed that on the new models.

there's also ways you can put another airstone inside to double the bubble production. I have a CPR so I haven't seen or done any of this, but I know several members here have.

Back
Top Bottom