seahorse tank mates?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leprichon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I aquired my tank with 3 seahorses (and a bunch of corals) so Im interested in compatability with those…
A list of “tank mates for sea horses” that Ive come across on the web, doesn’t seem to include any angel fish, surgeon fish, butterfly fish, puffers, hogfish, tuskfish, damsels, lionfish, snappers, rabitt fish, spadefish, hawkfish, soapfish, anthias fish, foxface, sweet lips, banner fish, toby fish, other damsels (to name the majority of the fish Im interested in, of most intrest are the angel fish and butterfly fish)…If you have any knowledge in this are (or know where I can find some) please inform…

IMO and IME I did have a SH tank they need to be a species only tank. The fish will out compete the slower seahorse for the pods or prepared foods if you are fortunate enough for them to eat it.

100_0529.JPG

I agree with Mike that they should be the only species in the tank. Depending on what types of corals you have, they might not be compatible with the seahorses. Some corals needs lots of flow, but seahorses are not good swimmers and can get blown around the tank.

Jawfish, gobies, certain blennies, small cardinals, firefish, etc. will do just fine with seahorses except for dwarf species.

Be careful on the pipefish. I have heard the wild caught pipefish can bring in disease that can be harmful to your seahorses. Make sure to QT

IME you have to be super careful about any tankmates, if any, you add. We do need more info though.

What species of seahorses?
What size tank?

most coral will sting the seahorses and since they are fragile animals corals are not recommended for seahorses. added the flow for some this is bad

In general, most seahorse species need: lower flow, cooler temperature, and lower salinity than other marine species. There are very few species that match the needs of seahorses.

A sand sifting goby was about the only thing I ever felt comfortable mixing with my SH. Pat is correct on the pipefish, I wouldn't mix them unless they are from the same breeder or are several generations captive bred.

This may go without saying, but don't mix seahorse species either :D

There's nothing wrong with mixing seahorse species as long as they're are region compatible (tropical/temperate, subtropical, etc.), but you will eventually have interbreeding. I've yet to have problems mixing passive fish long-term with horses or pipes. A new study shows that sound virbatuions could lead to stress disorders causing premature death in aquatic fish...something to ponder with horses.

Did you get all of yours from the same breeder?

I have heard of multiple horror stories of different breeds bringing in disease they are immune to but it decimates the existing population.

It's been awhile though since I had mine. Things might have changed.

No, different sources, originally live sources. Certain past breeders had major mycobacterium problems spread across their facility in the past so perhaps that was a part of your experience woes...unfortunately. Most Atlantic animals seem to have a lower disease tolerance when exposed to parasites from within the Indian, Pacifics, and Oceania and of course some species just have higher thresholds compared to others (depending on whom you ask lol ).

ive heard a sea horse only tank should be kept on a dose of anti-biotics bi monthly to the DT. Fighting some bubble gut diease that happends often in captivity. Keeping Sea horses with other fish and coral is just generally not recommended. Good luck on what ever choice you make =).

seahorse tankmates

Everyone you talk to will have a different opinion...I have had a reeftank for 6 years....I have live sand, live rock, calurpa, soft corals, 2 6 yr. old "nemos" who are very friendly, emerald crabs, hermit crabs, 2 mandarins, a fire goby, and of course, seahorses.... it's all about attention.... if you feed the fish first, you can target feed the seahorses. My seahorses do not starve and have reproduced many times over, and because I was not knowledgable enough to raise the fry, I gave them to my friend at the lfs. Years later, though, now I am more knowledgable and practiced at populating copepods, hatching brine, etc.

Back
Top Bottom