Seaweed in an semi-reef aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I was at the beach on the weekend and got some seaweed around my legs. It was long, thin and a rich green colour. It got me thinking, is it okay to have this in a reef aquarium?

I thought I heard once it was a really bad idea, but cannot recall why.

Any thoughts?

Not sure how the waters are by you but stuff washing up on the beach around here is probably laced with contaminants from the boating traffic, etc. I don't think the stuff washed up is the best of the best to put into your tank.

That said lots of people around here use NSW in their tanks taken right from the jetty in the winter at high tide so it is all a matter of personal preference (and willingness to take risks).

I was meaning, is seaweed "okay" to keep? I would have to source it from a LFS or somewhere like that.

Ahh. Frequently labeled "Macro Algae" various forms of "seaweed" are often kept in refugiums where they can be easily pruned. In the tank without a tang (or other herbivore) the algae would grow out of control and in a tank WITH an herbivore it would likely be devoured before it could be enjoyed or provide benefit.

Caulerpa and Chaeto are among many types of Macros that are often kept in tanks for nutrient export.

I keep Grape Calerpa in my fuge and prune out a handful to my main every week which last every bit of a day and a half thanks to my three tangs.

Hmm, I wonder where in Sydney I could get this. What sort of lighting would it require?

Back
Top Bottom