selling off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeNero1331

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was going to post this in the local forum or the barter forum but first wanted to get some feedback.

I've been getting busy at work lately and noticed I have less and less time for my tank. I may have to re-locate soon and taking my tank or leaving it with anyone is unfortunately not an option. Rather than letting everything die and then trying to find storage for my tank, I wanted to try and sell the set.

The problem is that it is a fairly large set up and I dropped quite a bit on everything. I don't mind taking a loss on it cause it was fun while it lasted but I'm not sure how much to ask for the major items. Here's some basics:

6 96w PCs w/ leds (2 10,000k, 2 50/50s, and 2 actintic)
125g tank (pre drilled w/ overflow setup and pump)
140lbs of live rock
30g wet/dry (used as a fuge)

There are obviously smaller items like powerheads, heaters, protein skimmer, ect. Livestock is very diverse and too lengthy to mention.

Does anyone have experience with the best way to sell the stuff and what kind of depreciation I can expect? After adding up what I paid for everything (minus the stuff I shouldn't have bought - i.e. crushed coral) I can't imagine someone else dropping that kind of loot.

Thanks people!

Resale is not great, price-wise. I have seen setups similar to yours in the local paper for $500-$800. I would post it in the local classifieds or with a local reef clube. Sell as a unit if possible.

I too have seen that sort of setup for around $600-900. You could always ask high with a "Or Best Offer" in your ad. Good luck!

I might as well add that if anyone is in the south jersey area and wants to make an offer or preview the set up, just drop me a line.

Have you been to the NJ Reef Club on Reef Central? If you part out you'll probably make out better (it just takes longer). http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=70

You could probably sell the tank for 250 (more in perfect condition). Then get another 350 for the lights. 2$/# for the LR. That will get you back more than you'd get if you sold the setup as is. We have a lot of club members down in your area. Major plus if your tank has lots of SPS corals. The club goes wild for them. Chillers sell well if you had one of those as do protein skimmers (what kind do you have?).

I may be interested, I'm near philly so when I get a day off perhaps I'll make a road trip if that would be ok with you.

Let me know

Back
Top Bottom