Serpent Sea Star Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sergie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been feeding my Serpent algae wafers for the past three months. He's never rejected them and loves them. I just read on Live Aquaria that they are carnivors and should only be fed meaty foods. Am I slowly killing him by feeding him algae? Should I switch over to meaty foods? If so what would be good for the sea star? Also should I slowly ween him off of algae or just pull a switcharoo?

I personally would not feed just for the star. They are good janitors and will feed off scraps and I would keep the algea tabs coming.

So just like raw shrimp from the store? Do you think it'll take awhile to get him to want shrimp since all he's been eating is algae?

Na. I think it will take it right from your hand with haste! ...and yes, just raw shrimp from the store will work.

I have a huge serpent star and have had him for years. I have always fed him raw shrimp, squid, krill, and occasional nori, he goes crazy for the shrimp. I usually only target feed him once a week, about half a shrimp.

Thanks for the replies. I feel bad about the algae now. I'll take some shrimp home tonight. I inherited him so I had no idea.

I fed my sea star some shrimp last night...he was out looking for it before I had it near the bottom! He loved it. Also as soon as he grabbed ahold of it, all my nassaurius snails came out of hiding looking for the shrimp so I had to put small pieces into the sand bed for them. After they were done I took out the remainding pieces. Shrimp is a big hit in my tank now!

Back
Top Bottom