Setting up a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wahoo_drew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I finally found a 10gal that will fit under my stand for my 55 and now I need to get an overflow box and return pump. I just dont know which overflow to use. On ebay there is an overflow with a 1000gph and a 500gph. Id also like to use a Mag 5 which has 500gph. So my question is which overflow should I get or should I maybe get a bigger mag drive with the 1000gph overflow?

the size of the mag drive is going to be directly related to your head height - i would think the 1000 would be over kill, unless u are pumping water 8 feet in the air...

could be wrong - but i have been doin some research and that's what i've found...

Its never wrong to have a bigger overflow than return pump. If a snail decides to take a trip down the overflow for instance, you can have a wet floor. The Mag 5 will probably put out 350-400gph at an average lift, so you're probably safe with the 500. Add another powerhead or two in the tank for more random current.

Back
Top Bottom