Setting up hospital tank-Help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefcowboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

I just noticed my 8 year old clown has ich, and it has been getting worse, so I thought would set up a hospital tank to treat it. I have a 60 gal with lost of corals, and no fish besides the clown. I recently introduced some green chromis w/o quarantine and the result is right there(i know :banghead:). Anyways, the chromis died leaving behind my old buddy with the parasites. All water parameters read fine, and I know the ich came from a sick chromis.
This is the plan, please let me know what you think:

I have a 8 gal cube, with an aquaclear 20, a good brand heater and some low intensity led light(avoid too much light that could further stress the fish?) No sand, no live rocks, just some plastic anemone looking thing and a piece of pvc.
Medication for treatment: Seachem Cupramine.

Questions(all help is very appreciated)

HOSPITAL TANK:
Should I treat for the length of time it takes the main tank(WITHOUT fish) to be ich free? The bottle of cupramine says to keep treatment for 14 days on infected fish. 30 days would be too long and too much stress for the fish? Should I treat it for 14 days, and for the remaining month remove copper from the hospital(carbon) and keep the clown under observation at a medication free water?
How should I best deal with the ammonia that will rise within the 30 days in the hospital? Ive read ammonia reducing(absorb?) sponges on the filter+water changes are ok...any other better ways to keep it in check?

MAIN TANK:

Normal maintenance, UV running 24/7, wait for the ich to die off.

Thanks and I just want to make sure my clown gets through, its an 8 year old soldier and needs help from all you comrades!

Thanks and have a great night

Some lighting would help you see the fish, but they don't really need it much. everything else looks good, I dont know anything about medication though.

for ammonia, I think the ammonia sponges have to be in the sump first to develop a bacteria colony before its effective. water changes every other day would help also

Back
Top Bottom