Setting up QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
All
Im setting up my QT 30 gallon in anticipation of buying a yellow tang from a friend that is getting out of the hobby. I have 2 HOB filters for the 30 gallon QT tank which obviously holds 2 biowheels. I have seeded the biowheels now for some 3 months at least. Plus Im going to pull a couple of less than baseball size peices of rubble rock out of my sump for the QT tank too. Should this be enough so that I wont cycle when I put the tang in the tank? I am going to throw the rubble rock away once Im done so Im not worried about it. Also I have 6 large peices of PVC for hiding.
Any suggestions?

I think, you could use the biowheels and LR to get a pretty quick cycle. I would add the LR and test the water. Once the cycle is complete, you can just move the LR back, there is no point in just throwing it away.
One question, where do you have the bio wheels now? Keep in mind, the nitrifying bacteria does not reside in the water column (in case you were just floating them), but in the LR and substrate.

if you can, put NEW HOB filter media in the sump of your main tank until you get the tang. the filter media will hold the bacteria, and you probably wont need the live rock in the QT. transfer it to the QT when the tang arrives.

make sure that if you put the live rock in the tQT and you treat the QT with any medication, you DO NOT put that live rock back in the main tank / sump.

test your QT water frequently, and do QT PWC's frequently.

~mike

mp3
Dont know if you saw or not, but I have 2 biowheels in the sump now and they have been there for about 3 months. I have been told that anything in the water, if left alone will gather bacteria and can be seeded. I assume biowheels are no different. Also I do like the idea of some sand from my main into my QT for bacteria as well.
Anything that I use in my QT I have to throw away. I have used copped in the QT tank previously so once Im done with the LR, sand, biowheels, etc then it all must go! Again any and all suggestions are much appreciated. I just dont want to end up with a cycle.

fishman said:
Anything that I use in my QT I have to throw away. I have used copped in the QT tank previously so once Im done with the LR, sand, biowheels, etc then it all must go!
Yes, you are correct, if you have used copper in your QT, don't put that back in your main. I have to caution this, watch any kind of meds that "kill" bacteria, otherwise, you might have a cycle in your QT, since your nitrifiying bacteria is, well bacteria.

Im wondering...I struggeled with QT tanks before and dont know how this works. So you cycle a tank and get the good bacteria going for you be it on rocks, PVC, biowheels, etc. And then you add say copper and it "kills" the good bacteria. Then how do you keep your tank from blowing up? Producing another cycle? If you kill all of the good bacteria, then how do you keep your levels (amonia, trites) from getting out of control? At one time when I was QT'ing a few of my fish, I was having to do 2 water changes per day to keep these levels down...I dont want to have to go through this again.

Basically, you cycle the tank, but watch what kind of nedications you use. If you are treating for a bacterial infection, it probably contains anti-biotics, those can kill the beneficial bacteria as well as the bacterial infection in/on the fish and cause a cycle.
The copper doesn't kill the bacteria, that is a different med altogether. You will find yourself changing water more often, dempending on the amount of fish and thier size, remember, smaller tanks have less water, this means less room for error. If you have a few fish with, let's say ich, they are stressed and will produce more waste, as opposed to QT'ing a few new fish that are not stressed.

If IM using some sand and LR from my main, then it shouldnt need to cycle right? If so and I use LS and LR, how long does the tank need to be set up before I can add 1 yellow tang? Im buying it from a friend in a 1 1/2 weeks from now. He said he has not had ick in over 2 years so I want to make sure. As far as he knows the fish is healthy and has been for 2 years at least. It will be in a 30 gallon long QT

Copper won't kill the bacteria I don't believe. It will harm inverts though. Snails, crabs, stars, coral, etc. Your copper level will be at .15 (or 15.0)ppm or below (test kit required!!) to either treat or prevent ich and stuff like that.

I'm thinking that with rock from the sump, seeded media (wheels or other media), and some water from the existing tank (next water change without the sand vacuum) you won't cycle. But after that stuff goes in and the tang is added, watch the ammonia levels closely anyway. Either you didn't have enuf seeded media (which I don't think so), or the tang's feedings and presence will drive the ammonia up anyway. I think you'll be alright.

And just think, if the tang doesn't get sick, and there's no copper, you can put everything back. If copper is added, I still wouldn't throw anything away. You may neeed it again. Use some of the more non-interesting rock in the QT in case it stays in there if copper is ever used.

Yes I have used copper once before and it worked great. I have the test kit and everything from the last time. (I think this was about 2 years ago - I guess the kit will still be good right?)
Im going to do a 25 gallon water change from my main into my QT so this will be where I get the water from. I will use the 2 biowheels, some sand, and some LR. Since I have used copper once before in my QT, the rock that I put in there will have to be put aside until I need it again in my QT tank.

Ok so I have the QT tank set up and running. Did a water change from my main into the QT tank. I have a heater, 6 peices of PVC, 2 HOB filters and a rio pump for circulation.
I have aded the biowheels and some sand from the main.
Do I need to drop some peices of krill in there as well to see if it will cycle?
Also I spoke to a LFS and they said to make sure, I might want to add a bottle of the turbo start???? Its apparently bacteria in a bottle? Would this help?
Again I wont get the fish for another 1-2 weeks but want to make sure the tank is cycled.
What temp do you keep QT tanks at? I have it around 80-81 right now

Don't need the sand in a QT. Bare bottom is prefered. Check out our articles section for more advice on QT setup.

Just drop a fresh shrimp in there to cycle it. Stay away from "cycle in a bottle" IMO. What size QT by the way?

Keep the QT same temp and lighting cycle (ph. salinity, etc) as your main so that fishies won't be too stressed moving from one to the other.

Austin
Its a 30 gallon long. (Breeder tank from what I understand).
Also where do you find a "fresh" shrimp? I checked at the local walmart and they said all of the seafood dept shrimp are already seasoned. So where do I get one of these.
Also how long do you leave the shrimp in there? Last time I tried the shrimp thing, I left it in there for like a week and ended up with a snoty slime in the tank...was VERY nasty and dont think a fish would have survived if I would have put it in there.
Thanks

Try a local grocery store, for the shrimp. You can leave it in there till your nitrItes spike, I would think, or until the cycle is over. After it rots, you might not be able to get it out in one piece! LOL!

Yep grocery store. I've heard some put the shrimp in a sack of cheesecloth or something , but you don't have to IMO. After 4 or 5 days when the ammonia spikes, you can remove it anyway.

The shrimp will be out for a couple weeks maybe before fish or cleanup crew is added. One medium sized shrimp should do it.

Keep me posted.

What happens if the biowheels and LS (already put this in there before the posting saying I dont need it) is enough and I dont get a spike? Is this possible?
So lets say it does spike and I have a cycle, then do I change the water? Do I feed the tank since I dont have a fish in there?

I don't understand your first question. Now that you mention feeding the tank. If you can't find a shrimp, you can use fish food.

Ok so I put the biowheels (that had been soaking in my sump) in action last night..in other words they are in the HOB filters now working as if there was a fish in the QT. So I should have a good bacteria base on the biowheels as well as in the LS that I put in the tank.
So once I put the shrimp in the tank, what happens if I DONT get a spike? Since I have a bacteria base in there I might not - right?
So the fish food will be good enough to drop in there once the tank is established? How often should I "feed" the tank? Also how much fish food?

Ok, I get it now. Test your water, and see what results you have. It's very possible you have enough bacteria on the biowheels and sand. When you put the shrimp in, you will get an ammonia spike, regardless if the tank is cycled. The ammonia will come from the decay, as if you have a critter die in your tank. Actually, you might want to skip the shrimp since you may already have it partially/fully cycled, and just use a pinch of food. Really, it all comes down to what your water params are. As for feeding the tank in the future, a pinch about twice a week should keep the bacteria happy.

Ok so I will go buy myself a shrimp this weekend and drop it in there for 4-5 days and see what happens. I did notice I have a little snail in my QT this morning from the LS I put in there. So I guess all is well so far.
Also this sounds weird but I put the LS in a small baggie, opened the baggie up and so the sand is still in the baggie. I assume this is ok?I didnt want it clouding up my tank..

Back
Top Bottom