SHOP LIGHT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

first-timer89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I use a shop light with 2-48 inch floresent tubes in it? I am getting a new 75 gallon today and have shop lights laying around and was just wondering? Also if anyone has tips on moving from my 20 too a 75 they would be greatly Appreciated TIA :D

Yeah, sure, thats what I did before moving to CF lighting.

Set it off the water some as the shop light probably doesn't have any plexi screen. I don't think you'll have shattering bulb problems (fluourescent is a giant mess when it breaks, did that once in the kitchen, was vacuuming for weeks), but the fixture isn't really rated for moisture, so you might have corrosion problems if its sitting right on top. But at the price, you could just buy a new fixture every so often :)

The lighting would only be good for a FO tank. If you was thinking of reef then you will need much higher output from your ilghts than standard florecent can provide. In addition the mosture problems as described above will in the long run rust the ship light and endcaps. While water might not be splashing up on the fixture its in a location of high humidity that will rust over a period of time.

You shouldn't have any problem since you are only using it temporarily. Some people do start out this way, then upgrade to PC or MH when they add corals to their tank.

Back
Top Bottom