Should a tank be grounded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump3842k

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive was told by a LFS guy that all marine tanks with submerged heaters or powerheads, should be grounded to keep unwanted electricity out, is this true? Ive been having a real hard time keeping corals and all tests have come out good, and he said this could be my problom...so i'm trying it....Do any of you have a grounded tank?

Yes, a simple grounding probe is about $20-30 bucks and will eliminate any stray voltage from powerheads, pumps, etc.

You can test your tank by probing a test pen or multimeter into your tank water too.

if ya use a rio ya better :) just pitched one after a year of use but would get shocked bad trying to start the pump :) also my other tank running 2 mag drives a 3 maxi-jets i would feel a bit of a shock not as bad as the tank with the rio but added a prob anyway and no worries now when putting hands in the tank :) but the tank with the rio the fish now act wierd after that and the grouper which used to hang out under the rio wont go to that side of the tank anymore ?? not sure if it has caused any serious issues or not ?!?!?

I saw that article madmanmac posted a couple months ago and took mine out. I am still on the fence as far as probes go.

Like I said in the post, I am not personally advocating either method, just posting an article that I found that talks about the down side of probes. I just like to make sure all sides are covered in an arguement.

Back
Top Bottom