should i ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgan24

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys and gals I was just wondering when my camel shrimp and my cleaner shrimp molt should i take there molts out of the tank or just leave them in there :?:

I don't know what you should do, but when my cbs molted I took it out. I wanted to show my daughter.

I take mine out too. I'm not sure if it's bad for the tank, but it looks bad. "Seriously..that's not dead, it just molted." .."Uh Huh :? .."

Actually, I had read about molts, and the suggestion was to leave it in there as it provides nutrients to the crab or shrimp. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but I guess it wouldn't hurt either way.

Mike

I leave my shrimp molts in, one of the other inverts usually eats them. I have heard same as Salttanker, that it's better to leave them in for the nutrients.

Hydra

I've always left mine in as well. There's no rhyme or reason to why though, for me! LOL! I just didn't see the need to take it out.

They can use the calcium and chitin from the molt to provide added nutrition for the new shell they are getting or who else gets it. Many animals that shed their skin or shells will eat the discard for nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom