should I buy a Orange Sun Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mistertalker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am considering buying an Orange Sun Coral - Tubastrea aurea. I have read several articles and talked to a few retailers and they are giving me mixed messages about the difficulties of keeping one of these. Ideally I would like the coral to flourish not just survive. Anyway, Has anyone had one a Sun Coral? If so let me know what you experienced. :?:

Sun coral is a non photosynthetic coral.

IT gets all its food from direct feeding. This one reason they are rather hard to keep alive.

Thats about all i can say now. Ill have to reference my coal books for better info.

Keven is correct they do need to be feed.That and each polup is independant of the other (so all polups need to get some food). As with all meat eating corals they need to get protein and assoc. ammino acids. Which basically means high protien meat source. This can be done by finely chopping some shrimp (mincing) and then turkey bastering it directly to polups. Or as is my case I feed a blender mush and it always seems to get its fill. They are a beatiful coral and if feed can be a great addition to the tank. Just a little more work, thats all.

Heres a pic of one of the ones I have in my tank

1394sunpolups.jpg

I don't think they're all that difficult (as long as you feed them like fishfreek said) - it's more that they are demanding. Each polyp needs to receive food, in order for the coral to thrive. That means using some sort of feeding hat (easily made from a plastic soda bottle) - or somthing similar. It also means finding the time to feed them 3x-4x/week, and not tiring of it.

They don't care about light (don't have symbiotic algae), but seem to fare better in dimmer conditions where algae isn't as prone to grow on them. They do however, like at least a moderate current.

They will eat adult brine, mysis, finely chopped krill, etc. If fed consistently, and often enough, the coral will begin to produce new polyps. However, if they are not regularly fed, the polyps will no longer open and the coral will eventually die.

HTH,

Thanks for the info :D i really like the feeding hat idea. that way the current doesnt sweep away the food.

That brings up an other question about gorgonia feeding but Ill post that seperatly one.

Back
Top Bottom