Should I get a Lawnmower blenny?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zaku999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

Need help from experts!!

I will like to get a Lawnmower for my algae infested Tank! I saw the way it filter the sandbed... really full of character!!!

however I am quite concerned because:
1) I got a Bi-color Dwarf Angel & Fire Shrimp (both eat very little algae)
2) My tank is about 40 gallons with about 50lbs Live Rock
3) will it over-eat the sandbed and damaged my nitrate cycle?

Thanks!! :D

the bacteria for your nitrate cycle isnt just in the sand. Its millions and millions of bacteria covering every surface in your tank.

zaku999 said:
I will like to get a Lawnmower for my algae infested Tank! I saw the way it filter the sandbed...
Lawnmower blennies will not sift sand, they are film algae consumers and scrape surfaces for their foods nor do they consume macro algaes. If the fish you are looking at sifts sand, it is most likely a goby species.

If your having issues with keeping the sandbed clean, fish additions are not your answer. Targeted invert species are more apt as a long term solution. Cerith, nassarius and strombus snails being the most effective.

Cheers
Steve

The first Lawnmower Blenny I got was the BEST $10-15 I've spent
But yes he does eat off of the sand and even takes some into his mouth for the fallen flakes. He is awesome to watch when he scrapes the algea from the glass. Could be a her and she's blowin me kisses

My local aquarium's Lawnmower Blenny is 2 inches big!! Too big for my Tank...

I bought a Bi-color Blenny and a Top snail!!! hope they will help to reduce my algae soon!! :D

The bi color much like the lawnmower blenny will primarily consume film algaes and similar. The good thing about these guys is they will readily accept prepared foods and not starve in a smaller tank. Great personality and peaceful fish.

Do yo know the species of top snail or even post a pic? Most are primarily algae consumers but AFAIK there are a few that can actually be predaceous towards other snails/bivalves. They are otherwise great.

What type of algae are you having issue with?

Cheers
Steve

If you arent prepared to risk the blenny vs other tank mates, have a look at a golden head sleeper goby.. especially if ur having cyano probz.. did my tank a treat..!

Hi!

Okie, i am novice here... so not sure what type of algae I am fighting with. definitely not hair algae. it is a green scum that grows on the glass panel and sandbed. I think should be some sort of film algao

My blenny has started to eating the algae, biting them randomly, the snail too has attached itself on the glass panel. Hope they will remove some for me!

I will take a pic of the snail soon. the snail is recommeded by my LFS to clear algae! thanks!

BTW, I just witness something unnatural... My Blenny is chasing after my aggressive black & gold damsel!!!! I wonder what happen... :roll:

A pic of the algae and snail would be great. You will most likely need more snails to keep the algae under control. Green film algae on the glass is quite normal but too much too fast is also a sign of higher than desirable nutrient in the system.

The blenny will definately help with this problem some but the snail will be the primary consumer. You should consider some cerith as well for the sandbed.

Bi colors will often stake out a territory where the "back into" a hole or crevace in the rock. If the damsel is getting to close, the blenny willl give chase but the damsel will soon learn to steer clear.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom