Should i remove this crab (pic) - reef safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
While letting my dog out at like 5 in the morning, i stoped to look at my new corals under the moonlight and saw my hitchhicker crab eating off my zoos, is he reef safe? i dont know if he was actually eating the zoos, or just off of them. follow the link to the pic, sorry its a little blurry but it was real early and once lights go on its not long before hes gone.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d806b3127cce9226b85c21e600000016108AaOGjdi4Ztq

Thanks,

- Jeff

Out of the whole 50g tank, he choose your zoos to scavange around. Sounds fishy to me. I'd remove him. He may not have been harming them but I wouldn't take the chance. If you have a sump or refug I'd move him there. Otherwise, see if your lfs will take him. The pic isn't clear enough to try to ID it.

he always eats off the rocks, he seems to be eating alage, he has never ate a fish or anything like that. My best description of him would be a pinkish emrald crab. I will try and remove him, he seems to only come out at night.

He may be a mythrax crab but, even they have the potential to be problematic eventually. Best to remove him early. JMO.

I had one of those mithrax hitchhiker crabs that looks like yours.
Was always very well behaved.
Ate whatever I fed the fish and was generally peaceful with everyone in the tank.
I know a lot of you say to take them out, but I honestly have never had a mithrax be anything but a peceful neighbor for my fish.

Hey Sea Cat,

do you have Corals? hes been peacful for 5 months, but i just added corals and am a little worried.

- Jeff

Alot depends on the crab. I've had crabs be well behaved for years then turn around and decimate my snail population. I've also seen other reefers keep reef safe sally lightfoots then have to turn around and get rid of them due to them picking at corals. There are no guarantees with crabs. I think crabs are super cool though and are unjustifiably destroyed for doing just what they do to survive. Thats why I suggested it be added to a sump or fuge if available. Or to see if the lfs will take it.

badfish, no I don't have corals, so I can't help ya there.
I honestly never saw the crab do anything but hang out and wait for feeding time.

Once he gets big enough, he will start eating other stuff. I remove all crabs but hermits and porcelin crabs.

Back
Top Bottom