Should I stay away from sand sifting stars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had one for a very long time and I love it. In a tank of your size, you should be able to have a few. Wait untilyou have a very lively sand bed as they can deplete the fauna rather quickly. Great animal so I say go for it.

I just added one a few weeks ago. It is very entertaining to watch when it surfaces out of the sand. Seems to be doing a very good job of keeping things clean. I am thinking of adding a couple more. I would say go for it.

I had 2 in my system a while back. They lasted about a year and eventually starved off. They also depleted my pod population, which has yet to fully recover.
My system is not as large as yours but still decent size and I went from a good size pod population to almost nill is a year.
Its your call, but IMO several serpent and brittle stars would be a better option. They do a nice job of cleaning and leave your important sand dwelling creatures alone.
Just my 2 cents.

Like quarryshark said, it will clean out the pod population. I would not get one if you already have anything that depends on pods for a food source such as a scooter blenny or mandarin. They'll starve. :cry:

Have a small (bout 4 inches) sand star in the 75G. He eats trash like any other scavanger. They will not tolerate nitrates, sudden changes in o2 levels, temp swings or sg swings real well. If your tank is stable there shouldn't be a problem. I have a much larger one in my 29G. Hes been in there since..um, Dec I think, so almost a year. Bout the size of your hand all spread out. They do a good job of turning over the sand which is very good for detrius clean up and general trash collection.

GL!

I have a large pod population and I turned my UV off last week so it should grow. I also have a refugium that is not running yet so it should greatly increase it. They are on sale for $5. I will hold off. I want to try a blue linckia

I have one in my 125 and I have had it for over 2 years. In your tank you could have at least 2 with no problems to the pod population. With 1000lbs of LR there is no way for the star to get into the LR so it will only get whats in the sand. IMO worth the $5 I would get one. In a tank your size you can have many different critters that most of us can't so take advantage of that fact.
And a linkia eats totaly different then the SS so they will not be competing for food. A blue linkia defiantly needs a mature tank, IMO at least a year old with lots of LR (which you have)

Back
Top Bottom