Shrimp keep dying, and no idea why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gouramiboy9142

Aquarium Advice Regular
Whelp, I just lost a $45 cleaner shrimp that barely even lasted 2 days in the main tank. This guy seemed fine when he was in the quarantine tank, so I really don't know what could have happened. What's more is that this is the 6th shrimp I've kept since I started the reef tank a year and a half ago, and I've had something happen to every single one. The farthest I've gotten with one is one that I got last August that lasted only a few months before it molted and vanished. So what do you guys think the problem could be? Luckily, I tested my tank yesterday before the shrimp kicked the bucket, and either 0 or close to 0 nitrates according to my test kit, so unless it was a misread that rules out nitrates. Also, I've gotten all of my shrimps from the same store chain (Petland/Aquarium Adventure), so perhaps that could be part of the issue? I'm at such a loss, because I have no idea why all of this is happening, but if any of you do I would sure be grateful.

- Diego

These inverts are very sensitive. How are you acclimating them to the tank? A longer drip acclimation is necessary for inverts as the shock of a new system alone can kill them.

These inverts are very sensitive. How are you acclimating them to the tank? A longer drip acclimation is necessary for inverts as the shock of a new system alone can kill them.

Usually, I acclimate any inverts and corals for about 25 - 30 minutes with a 1 - 2 drip per second rate. If a longer time is recommended, how long should I acclimate them for instead?

- Diego

Yes, I have many other inverts (crabs, snails, soft and lps corals) that are doing just fine.

- Diego

That probably rules out copper. Any sorts of treatment ever added to the tank? (Vibrant, fluconazole, interceptor, etc)

That probably rules out copper. Any sorts of treatment ever added to the tank? (Vibrant, fluconazole, interceptor, etc)

Yeah, I don't let copper anywhere near my inverts or coral. As for supplements, I haven't used any that you've mentioned, but I did use Aiptasia X not long ago to eliminate some aiptasia that I found on my live rock.

Aiptasia X is inert. It is fine.
I personally still see too short of a drip acclimation to inverts that are on the more sensitive scale compared to the snails and corals. It is most likely still shock related death.

Aiptasia X is inert. It is fine.
I personally still see too short of a drip acclimation to inverts that are on the more sensitive scale compared to the snails and corals. It is most likely still shock related death.

Ah, yeah I think that could be the problem. In that case, what would a better time to acclimate them be?

- Diego

Vibrant is bad news for inverts?

I don't recall any mention of Vibrant, but my understanding is that Vibrant is a bacteria that consumes algae. Once that algae is consumed, it will still want to do what it is that it does...and eat. That would be my understanding on why it would go after the photosynthetic cells inside of our corals.

I don't recall any mention of Vibrant, but my understanding is that Vibrant is a bacteria that consumes algae. Once that algae is consumed, it will still want to do what it is that it does...and eat. That would be my understanding on why it would go after the photosynthetic cells inside of our corals.
@bribo12 mentioned it. I used it a while back, not saying it ruined my tank but makes me wonder..

I was just saying if anything has been overdosed it could adversely affect inverts. Vibrant has been known to nuke tanks after depleting nutrients. There’s plenty of vibrant horror stories on the web just like any other chemicals dosed to our tanks. I’ve used chemiclean and flucanozole in my reefs with no side effects but there’re bad stories regarding those as well mostly due to overdoses.

It was just another option in possible culprits.

Are you feeding enough? If NO3 is at 0, I’m inclined to think there is a lack of food being added to the tank, which isn’t good for anything…

Back
Top Bottom