Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Shrimp keep dying, and no idea why

Whelp, I just lost a $45 cleaner shrimp that barely even lasted 2 days in the main tank. This guy seemed fine when he was in the quarantine tank, so I really don't know what could have happened. What's more is that this is the 6th shrimp I've kept since I started the reef tank a year and a half ago, and I've had something happen to every single one. The farthest I've gotten with one is one that I got last August that lasted only a few months before it molted and vanished. So what do you guys think the problem could be? Luckily, I tested my tank yesterday before the shrimp kicked the bucket, and either 0 or close to 0 nitrates according to my test kit, so unless it was a misread that rules out nitrates. Also, I've gotten all of my shrimps from the same store chain (Petland/Aquarium Adventure), so perhaps that could be part of the issue? I'm at such a loss, because I have no idea why all of this is happening, but if any of you do I would sure be grateful.

- Diego

Old 05-27-2021, 09:14 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

These inverts are very sensitive. How are you acclimating them to the tank? A longer drip acclimation is necessary for inverts as the shock of a new system alone can kill them.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Do you have other inverts/corals surviving?
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
These inverts are very sensitive. How are you acclimating them to the tank? A longer drip acclimation is necessary for inverts as the shock of a new system alone can kill them.
Usually, I acclimate any inverts and corals for about 25 - 30 minutes with a 1 - 2 drip per second rate. If a longer time is recommended, how long should I acclimate them for instead?

- Diego
Old 05-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Do you have other inverts/corals surviving?
Yes, I have many other inverts (crabs, snails, soft and lps corals) that are doing just fine.

- Diego
Old 05-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouramiboy9142 View Post
Yes, I have many other inverts (crabs, snails, soft and lps corals) that are doing just fine.

- Diego

That probably rules out copper. Any sorts of treatment ever added to the tank? (Vibrant, fluconazole, interceptor, etc)
Old 05-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
That probably rules out copper. Any sorts of treatment ever added to the tank? (Vibrant, fluconazole, interceptor, etc)
Yeah, I don't let copper anywhere near my inverts or coral. As for supplements, I haven't used any that you've mentioned, but I did use Aiptasia X not long ago to eliminate some aiptasia that I found on my live rock.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:49 AM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Aiptasia X is inert. It is fine.
I personally still see too short of a drip acclimation to inverts that are on the more sensitive scale compared to the snails and corals. It is most likely still shock related death.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Aiptasia X is inert. It is fine.
I personally still see too short of a drip acclimation to inverts that are on the more sensitive scale compared to the snails and corals. It is most likely still shock related death.
Ah, yeah I think that could be the problem. In that case, what would a better time to acclimate them be?

- Diego
Old 06-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

My drip acclimation was usually at least an hour. For the real sensitive ones, two should work.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Vibrant is bad news for inverts?
Old 06-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Vibrant is bad news for inverts?
I don't recall any mention of Vibrant, but my understanding is that Vibrant is a bacteria that consumes algae. Once that algae is consumed, it will still want to do what it is that it does...and eat. That would be my understanding on why it would go after the photosynthetic cells inside of our corals.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I don't recall any mention of Vibrant, but my understanding is that Vibrant is a bacteria that consumes algae. Once that algae is consumed, it will still want to do what it is that it does...and eat. That would be my understanding on why it would go after the photosynthetic cells inside of our corals.
@bribo12 mentioned it. I used it a while back, not saying it ruined my tank but makes me wonder..
Old 06-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I was just saying if anything has been overdosed it could adversely affect inverts. Vibrant has been known to nuke tanks after depleting nutrients. There’s plenty of vibrant horror stories on the web just like any other chemicals dosed to our tanks. I’ve used chemiclean and flucanozole in my reefs with no side effects but there’re bad stories regarding those as well mostly due to overdoses.

It was just another option in possible culprits.

Tags
dyi, dying, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com