Shrimp Trap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are there any homemade traps for catching a shrimp that anyone can suggest?

I woke up one morning to find my cleaner shrimp had been mauled, and a few days later woke up to see my porcelain crab suffered the same fate. My only suspect is my fire shrimp (who I first-hand witnessed picking at my peppermint shrimp a few months ago).

Long story short, I want to get him out of my tank before he turns his attention to any hermits or worse, to my fish, but the little critter is always hiding in the rock work and never comes out into the open when I get near the tank.

Hmmm, I have not heard of a fire shrimp attacking other shrimp. Are they all well fed? Are you sure it isn't some other critter in your tank?

I don't know what else it could have been...the cleaner shrimp was pretty big too (about twice the size of the fire shrimp). My other fish (small clown, royal gamma and 6-line) are all well fed, and I've never seen them tussle with the Cleaner or bother the Porcelain. I suspect the Fire shrimp because I witnessed it attack (and basically eat) my Peppermint.

I have a blood or fire shrimp and never seen him be aggressive before. That is strange.

i dont kno if its the shrimp... but i can teach you how to make a trap.... all you need is a poland spring bottle..... Cut off the top of the bottle where the first line is....then flip it so that the part you drink out of is on the inside.....glue it/make holes and tie it to secure the trap... Put food and youll be amazed at what you'll catch with this easy trap!! if you have any questions just pm me... hth

I just made that trap and cought a mantis shrimp in about4 hours, with a raw shrimp inside. great idea. you just have to put something in the opening of the bottle so it can get traction to pull itself inside

salty27- I also dn't think it's the fire shrimp. You may want to get a flashlight (or red light) and when the lights are off at night look for anything else. Maybe you have a hitchhiker crab in there that's killing them or a mantis shrimp. You'd be surprised at how many critters are in the tank that you've ever seen before. A couple days ago I was feeding my fish and noticed this black/white crab that was catching the flakes and I have never seen before. The tank has been up for over a year and I haven't bought any rocks for the tank in several months so I'm pretty sure he's been in there since day 1 and I'd never seen him.

Back
Top Bottom