shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panza

Aquarium Advice Freak
well i have a fire shrimp in my 14 gallon bio cube. i bought him cause i wanted him to clean the fish and he looks very cool. its been maybe a month or two since i had him and he doesnt clean the fish and his personality isnt the best he always is in the back where i cant see him accept for feedings. will it get a long with a cleaner shrimp? and am i alowed to have another shrimp in a 14 gallon? thanks :)

Fire shrimp tend to be shy. If he's not cleaning your fish they may not have any problems. Heck, I never saw my fire or cleaner ever clean a fish. You should be ok with the two in there.
Sexy shrimp are pretty cool, you may want to check them out.

My fire shimp was shy, only now after three months do I see him out in the open but always near his cave. Try moving your rockwork so you don't have much of a back, or creating a nice cave with an opening to the front.

My cleaner ship doesn't clean either, but he is always out front and center.

ok. so itll be ok for a cleaner and a fire in a 14 gallon? and do sexy shrimp clean? what do they do for the tank? are they shy?

I'm not the expert on nanos but they fire and cleaner should be happy in there. Sexy shrimp don't clean that I know of, but they are pretty cool to watch and stay small.

I just got my sexies but they are fun little guys. They don't clean and frankly dont do much of anything except dance and make babies. But they are fun to watch dance and explore your whole tank. I hear they like to be kept in odd numbers past 3, but i have no evidence to prove that. im pretty sure one of mine is pregnant, so hopefully i will be able to provide you more information as i do some reasearch if your interested.

ha ha thats awesome. maybe ill do one or two of those instead of a cleaner because not only do they sound cool but theyll save me money also (the economy sucks!). but is it hard to find them in your tank sometimes cause there so small?

Make sure you feed them, the sexies, or they will eventually search other food sources *cough, ahem!* coral *cough, gag*

The sexy shrimp generally stay out in the open and "dance". I do believe they are better off in 3+ quantities...they stay small, so they would be good for your tank.

do you have to feed them anything special? or just the regular frozen food i put in the tank

The sexy shrimp generally stay out in the open and "dance". I do believe they are better off in 3+ quantities...they stay small, so they would be good for your tank.

they're a little bit more expensive then i thought 14.00! so i can either get one or none. how bout peppermint? what do they do? any other shrimp that might be good for my tank?

Hmmm, for less than $14, I doubt it. My personal preference is a pistol. I have not had much success with pepps.

lol i can afford any shrimp up to about 25 dollars. thats why i could only get one sexy shrimp. cause if you see my other thread in nano forum youll see my list of things im buying andi have budget lol. i just want something thatlll do well by it self and is pretty interesting to watch. like a Coral banded shrimp be ok? or any other kind? ha ha thanks

If it were me, I would just wait and save up. A CBS might have issues with your other shrimp and possibly other critters in your tank. I've never kept one but have read plenty of stories about them. I think they do better in much larger tanks.
Panza, save up your money and get a few sexies. I guarantee you'll love them and they will be worth the wait.
I have 3 fish in my 55 and am completely happy with what I have.
Remember, SW (or aquaria, for that matter) is not about what you want other people to see, it's all about the animals you keep and their well
being. Personally, I like to have a smaller stock of critters, so when folks come over, they can concentrate on one or two of them. I feel they leave my house knowing a lot more about what I have than when they came in....whew....sorry for the soapbox speech!

lol ha ha ok.... but yeah i lay off the shrimp for now and stay off. instead i think im gonna do a green clown goby

just in case your ever curious again. The sexys will eat near anything, mine are muching on cyclop-eeze at the moment but i am thinking of getting them something a bit bigger. I read they like pellets, so i may try that. Peps in my opinion suck, lol. i have 2 in my 90 just to make sure that i dont get aiptasia. My girlfriend bought a nice purple feather duster to put in there awhile back because she wanted to get more involved with the tank, the pepps within 10 minutes went up to the duster and ripped it out of its tube and pulled it apart in front of her... needless to say when i adopted a puffer fish from a LFS she stood in front of the tank for a week trying to get him to eat the pepps. Lol, sorry for the long winded story...i have a bad habit of that lately.

just in case your ever curious again. The sexys will eat near anything, mine are muching on cyclop-eeze at the moment but i am thinking of getting them something a bit bigger. I read they like pellets, so i may try that. Peps in my opinion suck, lol. i have 2 in my 90 just to make sure that i dont get aiptasia. My girlfriend bought a nice purple feather duster to put in there awhile back because she wanted to get more involved with the tank, the pepps within 10 minutes went up to the duster and ripped it out of its tube and pulled it apart in front of her... needless to say when i adopted a puffer fish from a LFS she stood in front of the tank for a week trying to get him to eat the pepps. Lol, sorry for the long winded story...i have a bad habit of that lately.

lol its ok.... but yeah i actually did decide to put a few of those on the list. i did some research and they sound awesome!!!! so i got three of them coming soon! so excited!!!!

Peppermints are hit or miss. I have 2 that I LOVE and I had 2 that I "dismissed" from duty. The 2 I have now are around 4 months old and big, in fact as big as most cleaners I see. They don't touch anything other than aiptasia (although I haven't seen any aiptasia since putting them in) and they are visable 99% of the time. If I put my hand in the tank, they're on it immediately (which is a little creepy quite honestly:D). I have a tank full of various featherdusters that have never been touched to my knowledge. Mine molt every few days and they are VERY red now. They were fairly translucent when I bought them.

I have a fire and skunk in my nano with no issues. As mentioned, the fire shrimp tend to be a bit more reclusive. Even in my large reef I only see my fire shrimp at feeding time.

Back
Top Bottom