Shy Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sacramentofish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I am stumped.. I had a sick or just shy Xenia. I had (or thought I had) an ammonia problem. I installed a 30g sump/fuge (total water volume 20g in sump/fuge total system volume 60g) with 3 inch aragonite sand, added 30 lbs hirocks to about 30 lbs base and LR. Tank is 5 mths and base has 80% coralline coverage.

began feeding phytoplankton at 1/2 the dose size for the tank volume.

after about 1 week of connecting the sump-

chems perfect.
ammonina 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
PH 8.2
sal 1.024
temp 80
ko 11

did not test CA (they were our of salifert CA test- so I bought a shroom - doing awesome)

So, what could be the problem with the Xenia?? It was fine for a week after bringing it home full extension lots of waiving..
(I moved the PH away from the Xenia in the pic, no help) if he pic is not here check my gallery- never attached a pic to a post before..

Did you end up not really having the ammonia problem? If you did have a problem, this could be lasting effects of it. What does "KO" stand for (I'm assuming kh aka alkalinity)? What livestock are in the tank?

That pump in the back ground looks like it is close to the xenia and blowing directly on it. Xenia like flow, but too much can cause it to close.

Well, as for ammonia- the test kit I was using aquarium pharacuiticles was showing .25 ammonai. After I added the sump/fuge I bought the sea chem hang in tank dial, and it showed 0 amonia.

"KO" was a spell check error- KH is what I ment.

Livstock-
2 blue damsel
1 tank raised clown
couple small zoo rocks
palythoa cluster- 10 to 12 polyps
1 shroom
1 emeral crab
1 Xenia
clean up crew- 15 snails, 15 hermits

all thriving but the Xenia..

sacramentofish said:
Well, as for ammonia- the test kit I was using aquarium pharacuiticles was showing .25 ammonai. After I added the sump/fuge I bought the sea chem hang in tank dial, and it showed 0 amonia.

"KO" was a spell check error- KH is what I ment.

Livstock-
2 blue damsel
1 tank raised clown
couple small zoo rocks
palythoa cluster- 10 to 12 polyps
1 shroom
1 emeral crab
1 Xenia
clean up crew- 15 snails, 15 hermits

all thriving but the Xenia..
(I moved the PH away from the Xenia in the pic, no help)

As you describe the problem with your xenia, it falls right in line w/ the way mine is acting. For the first two weeks, it was beautiful and now it looks like the picture you posted and even worse.

I'm wife informed me this morning that my royal gramma didnt make it, so there is something defiantly going on in my tank.

Your test readings are about the same as mine, there must be another variable that I'm overlooking and not testing for.

If you figure your problem out, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom