Sick Sebae Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

begginersluck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I posted a thread yesterday on what I thought and was told is a Malu anemone which turns out to be a Sebae!

I am thinking about quarantining the anemone and need to know whether my 50 litre spare aquarium would do?

Reason for quarantine / getting bashed around by clowns and power heads!

Well the answer would depend on what type of light you have in your QT. anemones get most of their nutrition from photosynthesis, if not enough light, it will bleach out and die.

The anemone in already bleached really bad. I want to try saving the nem but if it does die I don't want it dying in my main tank!

I have an Aquaray 1000 hd I can put over the QT.

The size of the tank seems fine, if that's what your asking. I'm not familiar with those lights, though. But I guess it's better to try the nem in the other tank with the light rather than just chuck it, right? If it does die, at least it won't pollute your whole tank! How it works out for you!

Beengirl said:
The size of the tank seems fine, if that's what your asking. I'm not familiar with those lights, though. But I guess it's better to try the nem in the other tank with the light rather than just chuck it, right? If it does die, at least it won't pollute your whole tank! How it works out for you!

I agree with that! I'm not up for chucking it out I want to give it a chance in a less stressy place!

I need to figure out filtration next and make sure I'm doing water changes to keep the water pristine!

I googled the light and if you have the one I read, it says the LED white lights are 14000k, so I do believe that will work for the nem !! :) I'm no light expert, I've only used stock lights and Kessil LEDs, so I'm really hoping that's right!!! Now we just gotta hope the nem hasn't already expelled all if it s zooxanthellea (spelling?) and can recover. If its already all expelled, there's nothing you can do, really. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Beengirl said:
I googled the light and if you have the one I read, it says the LED white lights are 14000k, so I do believe that will work for the nem !! :) I'm no light expert, I've only used stock lights and Kessil LEDs, so I'm really hoping that's right!!! Now we just gotta hope the nem hasn't already expelled all if it s zooxanthellea (spelling?) and can recover. If its already all expelled, there's nothing you can do, really. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Is there any way of knowing if its expelled all its zoox? Do the usually deflate?

If it has expelled all of it, it will die no matter what light you give it. But I've herd people say that they've taking nems they thought were beyond help and brought them back. If it has even a little bit of zooxanthellea left, it will spread through the rest of he nem under the right conditions. But it takes a lot of time. My GBTA was kinda bleached when I got him a little while back. Here's some pics of day I got him:

image-2670303646.jpg

And today:

image-79797505.jpg

He's become a lovely brown with green tips under my LEDs!! Hopefully that can happen for yours too!!!

Beengirl said:
If it has expelled all of it, it will die no matter what light you give it. But I've herd people say that they've taking nems they thought were beyond help and brought them back. If it has even a little bit of zooxanthellea left, it will spread through the rest of he nem under the right conditions. But it takes a lot of time. My GBTA was kinda bleached when I got him a little while back. Here's some pics of day I got him:

And today:

He's become a lovely brown with green tips under my LEDs!! Hopefully that can happen for yours too!!!

Time is fine with me as long as I try il be happy!

I'm going to set this QT up this week and get him on the mend.

Can you recommend a filter for this size tank? I'm guessing I won't need much as its only for the nem?

As per my iPhone app, cuz I don't know metric, 50L seems to be about 13 gal. So I would go with at least a 20 g filter. Not like you're going to be throwing food in there, after all. I wouldn't wait too long to set it up, cuz I've heard that nems can go bad REALLY fast. Never had it happen, but I've heard that. Try seeding the filter with some media from your other tank's filter if you can. That'll help with the BB. then just keep an eye on the water parameters and do PWC as needed. And keep an eye on the nem too, of course. :) good luck!!

BTW, had never heard of the Jersey Channel Islands, looked them up and they are beautiful!!!! You're lucky to live in such a beautiful area!! I'm in Michigan, USA, theres definitely no beautiful scenery where I live!! :)

Beengirl said:
BTW, had never heard of the Jersey Channel Islands, looked them up and they are beautiful!!!! You're lucky to live in such a beautiful area!! I'm in Michigan, USA, theres definitely no beautiful scenery where I live!! :)

It is a lovely place to live! Nightmare for marine aquarists though.

I need to make some adjustments to my QT before I set it up so the earliest I can fill it will be Wednesday.

On my main tank I don't have an external filter. It has live rock, DSB, protein skimmer and a filter sock. Not sure what I can seed the new filter with.

Can I put the nem in there straight away?

Well, you could take some of the sand and a live rock to put in QT, that'll help the cycle. You're basically goons have to do a fish-in cycle, which will be very tricky with a nem cuz they like good water. Do you have a foam (or even half a foam) or biomax or anything in your other filter that you can take some of for the QT filter. Wednesday might be pushing it If the nem is in as bad a shape as you're saying.

I have filter wool inside the sock I could pull out.

The problem with the tank is its actually been turned on its side and its width has become its height if that makes sense? So basically the bottom of the tank used to be the side. This is because it was broken and I made an aquarium to sit in between the 2 cupboards on my old jewel tropical tank. I wanted it back to how it originally was which means taking off the side that I put on, cutting it to fit on the original dude do that it is lengthways again.

Sorry really hard to describe! I could use it as it is but it would look a bit odd being on its side!

begginersluck said:
I have filter wool inside the sock I could pull out.

The problem with the tank is its actually been turned on its side and its width has become its height if that makes sense? So basically the bottom of the tank used to be the side. This is because it was broken and I made an aquarium to sit in between the 2 cupboards on my old jewel tropical tank. I wanted it back to how it originally was which means taking off the side that I put on, cutting it to fit on the original dude do that it is lengthways again.

Sorry really hard to describe! I could use it as it is but it would look a bit odd being on its side!

If it'll hold water, the filter can be put on and the light can be put over it, I don't think the nem will care how it looks. Lol I would pull out some of the filter wool, but not all of it. (You don't want to cause a cycle in your DT by removing too much BB.) and maybe a scoop or 2 of sand and a live rock or 2 if you can spare it. They don't have to be big. The nem will want a rock to attach to.

Sounds like we're getting a good plan. Will the nem care if it has less space to move? That was my main reason for wanting to convert it back.

I was planning on using some of the water from my DT.

Thanks for your help on this!

Well hopefully it won't be moving much, just attach to the rock and soak up some of that light for a good long while. Moving will use energy, which it probably doesn't have much at all. If its a sebae, then it'll just (hopefully) with time be one a light tan with pink tips.
If you notice it getting a little of tan color back, you can then give it small bits of food, but not until then cuz it won't have the energy to digest it.

Beengirl said:
Well hopefully it won't be moving much, just attach to the rock and soak up some of that light for a good long while. Moving will use energy, which it probably doesn't have much at all. If its a sebae, then it'll just (hopefully) with time be one a light tan with pink tips.
If you notice it getting a little of tan color back, you can then give it small bits of food, but not until then cuz it won't have the energy to digest it.

When I bought it it was a lovely tan colour with pinky purple tips and went downhill possibly because it didn't get enough light. It also got moved by mistake which seemed to stress it pug more!

I'm going to set this QT up this afternoon and put it straight in!

begginersluck said:
When I bought it it was a lovely tan colour with pinky purple tips and went downhill possibly because it didn't get enough light. It also got moved by mistake which seemed to stress it pug more!

I'm going to set this QT up this afternoon and put it straight in!

Don't forget to acclimate it to the new water!!! Don't just plop it in. And I don't know what the weathers like there, but try to get the temps about the same. You have a spare heater for the QT? I'm glad your doing it today, Wednesday might be too late, frankly. Good luck!!!!! Let me know how it goes and whether it makes it or not!!! :)

Beengirl said:
Don't forget to acclimate it to the new water!!! Don't just plop it in. And I don't know what the weathers like there, but try to get the temps about the same. You have a spare heater for the QT? I'm glad your doing it today, Wednesday might be too late, frankly. Good luck!!!!! Let me know how it goes and whether it makes it or not!!! :)

Yes I have a heater and even a small powerhead which I might use later on. Il be sure to acclimate it.

Lets see how it goes! Il keep you posted. If I can pull it off il be so proud!

P.S. weather sucks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom