Silk plants unsafe for saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LudicrouSpeed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I just got a nice silk plant (Marina Naturals) and on the back it said it was safe for all freshwater tanks ... But I got it for my saltwater tank. Is there any reason that a silk plant would be UNSAFE for my tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nopers. It will work just fine in salt. Although the salt might break it down a little faster than it would in fresh water.

Heard a ton of mixed opinions on plastic ones, forgive me if its a stupid question

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Should be safe. You simply don't see it much in saltwater because it can look odd or even tacky since most, if not all, are modeled after freshwater plants.

Should be safe. You simply don't see it much in saltwater because it can look odd or even tacky since most, if not all, are modeled after freshwater plants.

+1 it would be a waste of ink and space on the packaging for them to advertise to the salt water side of the hobby.... I've actually seen people get hostile over a discussion of using fresh water decor in a salt water tank...

True. But they should be totally safe. It is things that could erode or fall apart you would want to avoid, like the colored gravel you see on freshwater.

Yeah... heck my colored gravel lost its color in my freshwater tank! Never again. Incidentally, I have my receipt so I think I'm going to exchange the silk plant I got for something that looks more marine appropriate. Any preferred styles?

Back
Top Bottom