Simple Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I currently have 40 gallon a FOWLR tank. It has been set up for almost a year now and it only houses a clownfish, goby, and live rock. I am looking to add some coral to the tank now. I know corals need to be feed, but are there any that can survive on infrequent feeding? Also note that the lighting on the tank is a 96 watt t5 fixture.

No corals need to be fed unless they're non-photosynthetic. And I wouldn't recommend any non-photosynthetic ones. Is that a 4 bulb fixture. Soft corals like zoas, mushrooms, leathers are quite easy. Lps like hammers, torches, Duncan's, brain corals, trumpet coral, etc... Would do fine.

mushroom and zoas are very easy and typically are fast growers so they are fun to watch. Stuff like frogspawn and torches are neat with flow

Thanks and yes it is 4 bulbs

As others said, any softies, polys, zoas & depending on your aquascape you can place some lps high on rocks and add some color that way. Make sure you got some good flow with powerheads placed properly

Like the others have said, most soft corals if not all of them will do well. If you decide to get Duncan coral you can feed it mysis shrimp once and a while and it will help it grow. My duncan has quadrupled in size in the 9 months I've had it with a weekly feeding. Going from two heads to eight.

55 gallon reef mj 400 circulation setting ~500gph and hydor 600. Diy 3" dia. 24" tall stand alone skimmer powered by 90gph power head(needs to be redesigned to allow adjusting). 3 Kenya trees and one duncan coral. Two Occ. Clowns, black clown goby, sleeper banded goby, 3 Cardinals, convict tang, pistol shrimp, 2 blue leg hermits, 2 red leg hermits, 1 zebra hermit remaining, 3 astreas and 3 nassarius snails and a conch. Diy canopy w/ led and t5 ho 14k bulbs. Diy stand housing a 55 gallon sump where the heater and skimmer are located. Simple and cheaply done tank.

Back
Top Bottom