Single Anthia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read some Anthias do best in home aquariums when they are alone because they won't be competing against each other for dominance. On the other hand I've heard they do best in large groups to spread out the aggressiveness toward each other. My LFS got a nice group of 6 "Ignitus Anthia" that are a really nice soft pink/purple color. I'd like to try and add maybe one to my tank soon but not if it's going to fail.

Very interested to hear some input. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You will not have any problems keeping just one. If the tank isn't large enough, you will on the other hand have trouble keeping more than one.

I think I'd stick with one. With all I read and my tank size I just don't think it would be good for anyone.

If you have more aggressive fish in your tank, I would recommend getting more than one, about 5-6. I personally always like to have groups of anthias.

One fish is be concerned about is my royal gramma. It's not terribly moody but I've definitely watched it try to keep others away

My reading left me with the same impression...
Only one....
It seemed easy for me to believe that with a harem a female was always looking to take the males place.
I had 1 anthias for a while(1/2 year) in my FOWLR/predator tank.
He was happy and active alone.
Unfortunately one of my lions got him!

I went out and bought a single Anthia yesterday. My LFS had a 40% off fish and coral. I got 2 Zoa frags an Ignitus Anthia and a rock flower anemone for like $60

I'm concerned though because my Anthia was out swimming yesterday and now it won't come out of hiding. Hoping it comes out soon

give him time mine swam around when I got them then hid , 2/3 days he'll be out and about

Sadly I don't think so..I fed the tank four times today and he didn't come out at all. He may have ate yesterday but I'm really not sure he was swimming around when I fed the tank but I didn't see him eat anything

I can at least see him in his hiding spot pretty clearly so I know he's not dead. But I wish he would come out

She's out! YES! so happy lol

Some difficulties keeping this single Anthia. If it does come out its only for a few minutes. It hardly seems to eat and maybe nabs a single pellet or 2 before going back into hiding. I don't notice any sort of bullying when it does come out. I've upped the feeding of my tank to 3 small amounts a day just to try and help this fish want to come out. I'm really hoping it doesn't get sick. Tomorrow I think I'm going to put some mysis in the rocks where it likes to hide. Beautiful fish but I wish it would come out more. I heard they could be difficult but this is nerve racking lol..

I'm wondering if some live food will make it come out of hiding

They are picky eaters at times.
Especially during acclimation.
I would be treating her like a Queen...
I don't feed pellets often to my marines...
I would get on mysis daily IMO.
Anthias are said in many articles to require 6 feedings a day!
If it is not eating much only 2-3 times a day it is only a matter of time before weakness wins out IMO...
Try offering frozen or live if you can till you find what she likes and then fill her up daily with it...

I usually rotate pellets and mysis to every other feeding. Up until I got my Anthia I was only feeding once every other day and now it's 3 times a day every day sense adding. I don't mind increasing that even more because I read the same thing about Anthias but it's been mainly pellets. I read a lot of people saying newly added singles will hide a lot so I guess the queen will get room service of live food (whatever the LFS has) and frozen mysis tomorrow haha.

Well today I vigorously fed the tank frozen brine and mysis. I'll have 1 more feeding tonight before lights out. I also got some live brine from the LFS and dumped it in batches. I feel like I had decent results and now the Anthia hangs out where I can see it but still doesn't explore the tank. Tomorrow I'll follow the same routine but maybe with live blackworms? As much as I hate worms.....I didn't see much but I did see it eat.

Haaaate worms.

So far today has been the most I've seen of the Anthia sense the day I got it. It game out and swam around a couple times today...it looked good I'm hoping it stays that way.

This is great news!!:dance:
Keep up on feedings and make sure she is comfy.
Soon she may forget all the shipping ,transferring stresses and enjoy your tank.
The more the fish knows it has safe places to hide the more it will come out IMO...
Keep up the good work !(y)

Well some bad news. Today my fiancé went downstairs and started screaming at the sight of my Anthia being devoured by my clean up crew.

I won't try to dodge the fact that my mistakes in introducing this fish to my tank have most likely lead to this end. I'm convinced this happened because of malnutrition despite how heavily I tried to feed. My regret is not having a place for a QT and keeping a closer eye on the fish. The day I introduced the fish to my tank I first placed it into a netted in tank breeding box which I usually do to new additions and it seems to work well because it gives the fish protection but introduces it to the others. It looked good and was swimming around what I thought to be normally so I jumped the gun and let it loose. I wish I hadn't because it went straight to hiding in the rocks. I wish I would have tried to get the fish to eat and observed it longer. The fish hiding in the rocks made it impossible to catch and very hard to see if it was eating. I feel if I would have just kept it contained for a few days or longer my success rate would have been higher.

Back
Top Bottom