six-line and condy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Six-line wrasse has been swimming throught the tenticles of my condy anemone and was wondering if this could end badly. So far the anemone has not even tried to catch the wrasse but that might be because he is well fed. So should i be concerned?

My Six-line wrasse has been swimming throught the tenticles of my condy anemone and was wondering if this could end badly. So far the anemone has not even tried to catch the wrasse but that might be because he is well fed. So should i be concerned?
Any fish can get stung by an anemone, including clown fish. They are not immuned to the deadly venom of the anemone. The behavior clown fish display as they swim in and out of their anemones is the sole key to their ability to host such a deadly animal. Clown fish wiggle as they swim through the anemones. Two things happen. One: their scent is disquised and they "smell" like an anemone to the anemone and two: it stimilates an increase of slime production on the fish. This sort of armors the clown fish, making it hard for the anemone's venomous stings to penetrate. The interesting thing is...

It is being discovered that other types of reef fish are picking up on this behavior in the wild and taking advantage of the protection anemones can provide. What makes this an incredible find is that this behavior is learned. These animals are capable of reasoning. I thought you'd like this little tid bit of information. I recently watched something that mentioned that.

There is always a risk even with clown fish, but for the most part, do not worry. Just watch. Anemones are fine being fed meaty foods like silversides and squid once a week. They'll eat phytoplankton two to three times a week. The 3 watts per gallon minimum of lighting indirectly provides sugar for metabolism through the breakdown of zooanthellae grown in their tissues from the light. This should be plenty of food to keep the anemone well fed and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom