Sixline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeYQM

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know there's a lot of subjectivity, but am curious whether a sixline wrasse would work in my 30g with Ocellaris, Coral Beauty & Yellow Watchman?

They bury in sand right? I have a 3" sand bed, but about 1/2 the beds covered with rock & corals.

Thanks

No they don't burrow in the sand ,they make cocoons to sleep in..
Not sure i'd put one in a 30 though..I think it'd be OK,,but they are fast zippy little fish and i know mine covers every inch of my tank constantly ...

No they don't burrow in the sand ,they make cocoons to sleep in..
Not sure i'd put one in a 30 though..I think it'd be OK,,but they are fast zippy little fish and i know mine covers every inch of my tank constantly ...

Mine is all over the tank too. Didn't know about the cocoons though. No wonder I have never been able to figure out where he sleeps. LOL What should I be looking for? I just figured he found a nice little cave on the back side of the rock where I could see.

They eat it as soon as they wake up 99% of the time..i've only seen it floating around a couple times in the 6 years of having it

They eat it as soon as they wake up 99% of the time..i've only seen it floating around a couple times in the 6 years of having it

Wow. Very interesting. Nice to learn some new info about my fish. I have been going for just over 2 months now and the biggest thing I have learned is that I don't know anything. LOL :facepalm:

So there's no worry of aggression?

Not an expert and I have limited time with mine but in the 2 months we have had him he has been a great addition. My wife says he is her favorite. We started with a pair of clowns. Then we added him along with a fire shrimp. It wasn't until he started darting all over the tank that our clowns started coming out of the corner of the tank. He drew them out and now they are everywhere.

So there's no worry of aggression?
May pick on your goby,but i had mine for over 6 years and when i had a clown goby with him, he never bothered it...Every fish is different and i never kept one in a tank smaller than 75 gallons ...They can be aggressive ,but shouldn't bother the clown or angel,,may be the opposite actually ..

My goby rarely goes beyond his burrow, and otherwise very peaceful tank. Are they jumpers?

May pick on your goby,but i had mine for over 6 years and when i had a clown goby with him, he never bothered it...Every fish is different and i never kept one in a tank smaller than 75 gallons ...They can be aggressive ,but shouldn't bother the clown or angel,,may be the opposite actually ..

I had planned on a diamond goby as my last fish. Should I be rethinking that? Since I added the 6 line I have added three blue/green chromis and a Kole Yellow Eye and the 6 line has never bothered anything in my tank.

My goby rarely goes beyond his burrow, and otherwise very peaceful tank. Are they jumpers?
My top is wide open and he has never once tried to jump,,i think as far as wrasses go they aren't known to jump as much as some others

I had planned on a diamond goby as my last fish. Should I be rethinking that? Since I added the 6 line I have added three blue/green chromis and a Kole Yellow Eye and the 6 line has never bothered anything in my tank.
I think you'll be able to add without any major issues,,the 6 line may go check him out ,but i don't think he'll be a problem..i added my goby after the 6 line too..the 6 line was my 3rd fish added at the time,,2 clowns were first ,,,(all still swimming and doing great)

I think you'll be able to add without any major issues,,the 6 line may go check him out ,but i don't think he'll be a problem..i added my goby after the 6 line too..the 6 line was my 3rd fish added at the time,,2 clowns were first ,,,(all still swimming and doing great)

Thanks for the info. My wife would be upset if I told her she couldn't have the goby. LOL I figured I would have to talk her into it because he wasn't "Pretty" enough. She spotted it before I could point it out to her and "I want one of those". Just not looking forward to the sand all over the corals but what is one more thing to clean right?

I have a 6-line in my 55 gal and he definitely explores every single inch of the tank everyday. I also have a yellow watchman goby and I have noticed some aggression from the 6-line towards the goby.
They went for months getting along fine together and then one day the 6 line was chasing the goby all over the tank obviously stressing him out. I have not seen it happen since so I have no idea what caused it.
It entirely depends on the fish. I would say go for it. I've only had a few incidences and would still get both fish.

Does your goby have a burrow? Mine is paired with a pistol shrimp, so I would guess he would duck for cover rather than swim around the tank.

MikeYQM said:
Does your goby have a burrow? Mine is paired with a pistol shrimp, so I would guess he would duck for cover rather than swim around the tank.

He hides in a hole in the rock. But he spends a lot of the time sitting out in the open. I'm not sure why he decided to swim around the tank when he was chased. I think it was feeding time but I'm not sure.

Well, I got the wrasse. smaller than I expected - smallest in the tank so should go well.

I currently have a sixline in quarantine ready to go into my 29g cube. I think every semi aggressive fish could bring problems but whats life without risk! From my research you will be pretty unlucky if things don't work out. Good luck.

MikeYQM said:
Well, I got the wrasse. smaller than I expected - smallest in the tank so should go well.

Good luck. Like I said it's only been a couple of times and they seem to be ok now. If I had to decide again I would still get both fish.

My sixline is great with all my fish including a diamond goby. In fact it seems as though my sixline coaxes out the other fish into swimming around with him a lot more. He is always going around to different fish in the tank and then they start swimming around together.

TLTGF said:
My sixline is great with all my fish including a diamond goby. In fact it seems as though my sixline coaxes out the other fish into swimming around with him a lot more. He is always going around to different fish in the tank and then they start swimming around together.

You don't think it is because he is saying"get out of my way,or else"?LOL

Back
Top Bottom