Sizes of fish and stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zidion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, i have 2 questoins.

1) im trying ot choose what type of fish i want ot get. Is it better/easier to go with a good bit of smaller fish, or a couple larger fish?

2)are the wrought iron stands pretty sturdy? my LFS sells em, and ive read they are extremely sturdy, but they dotn look it lol. I dont want it break and gallons of water all over my house.

Don't know how sturdy the wrought iron stands are, but I think they have a reputation for rusting with SW. Plus which. there might be a lot of stuff you want to hide in the stand . . .

I would not trust the wrought iron stands. they just do not look sturdy to me. Besides, a nice wood stand looks better and gives you a place to hide stuff.

Zidion said:
Is it better/easier to go with a good bit of smaller fish, or a couple larger fish?
With that tank size you don't really have the option of going for any large fish. I would say about 4 small fish would be a good estimate.

when considering fish sizes, say he can have 8in. of fish in his tank if it is a 40... does that mean he should only have fish whose total adult size sums to 8in? also, it seems to me whenever I look at online fish merchandisers, the max size for some of the fish is how large they naturally grow in the ocean. would all fish grow to the "max size" and outgrow the tank that they are living in?

I have a 29 gal freshwater tank on a wrought iron stand that needed to be moved because of remodeling. I emptied the water to about halfway and carefully slid it over across the room. Not that I would do that again but the stand was very sturdy. Also, the stand is 25 years old. I can agree, though, about the saltwater corrosion thing. Also, it is nice to have some storage room underneath.

I have a 29 gal freshwater tank on a wrought iron stand that needed to be moved because of remodeling. I emptied the water to about halfway and carefully slid it over across the room. Not that I would do that again but the stand was very sturdy. Also, the stand is 25 years old. I can agree, though, about the saltwater corrosion thing. Also, it is nice to have some storage room underneath.

mr_tee0419 said:
when considering fish sizes, say he can have 8in. of fish in his tank if it is a 40... does that mean he should only have fish whose total adult size sums to 8in? also, it seems to me whenever I look at online fish merchandisers, the max size for some of the fish is how large they naturally grow in the ocean. would all fish grow to the "max size" and outgrow the tank that they are living in?
Yes the general rule of inches per gal takes into account the full adult size of the fish, although its only a rough guide and by no means the only thing to consider.

If you are sensible in your choices then you will never have to worry about fish outgrowing your tank. The problem comes when people don't research beforehand and purchase juveniles thinking they will stay small. The classic example is Tangs.

depending on the price of those stands, you may be able to make your own for less. also, I think lowes and home depot will make the cuts for you without charge so all you need to do is glue and screw everything together. I think there are some great articles in the DIY section :D

I would really like some tangs, but i think my tank is too small for em. I saw some ones (i forget what they were called, they were like 1/2 purple 1/2 yellow and really small). how many fish that size could I get?

rubysoho said:
depending on the price of those stands, you may be able to make your own for less. also, I think lowes and home depot will make the cuts for you without charge so all you need to do is glue and screw everything together. I think there are some great articles in the DIY section :D

um thats ok. i tried to make a cage for one of my animals once and now i have about $100 in rotten wood outside my house LOL

I would stay away from the tangs. You tank is just too small and they would not do well in it. They require lots of swimming space. You do have lots of other options though.

is there a list with pictures and stuff online for different fish?

With SW the rough guide is one inch of fully grown fish per 5 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom