Skidish Puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPloman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I took my puffer back to the store last night and traded him for some other tank friends. I got another cleaner shrimp and about 20 turbo snails for the trade.

Here is the deal, when I got home last night from work I found the puffer in the corner of the tank all freaked out. The green cromis were on the other side of the tank freaked out as well. When I stuck my head near the tank where the puffer was, he shot out from the corner like I was gonna bite him. I thought that was really odd behavior for a puffer. When we first put him in the tank the shrimp jumped on him and gave him a bath... I thought they ate shrimp. After that he just hung out in the back of the tank like he was hidding.

Does anyone here know if this is normal behavior for a puffer or have any suggestions on what went wrong with him? Did I do the right thing by tanking him back to the store?

How long had you had the puffer? If he has been in there for a while and he's acting like that, i would say it would be a good idea to give him back if the LFS would take him. However, if it had only been a couple days I would not have been as concerned because it takes some fish a long time to acclimate to a new tank.

That being said, if you had inverts in the tank and wanted to keep a puffer, you would have seen all your inverts eaten eventually. So it was probably a good idea to give him back regardless of his condition.

tripper

Back
Top Bottom