Skimmer and Salinity level..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
At what salinity level does a skimmer normally stop operating.. ie how much salinity is nessasary to operate a protein skimmer:?:

I was asking because it is a salt water filter, ie Im thinking that SW hobbiests would be more likely to be able to answer this question, and Im wondering how much salt would be nessisary to get one to operate.. IE Im thinking that there is a FW application for a protein skimmer but I would need to know how little salt could be used to get one up and running.. I didnt really know were to ask this question.. I thought this area might be best..

The lower the salt content the less efficiently a skimmer will work. In low salinities (brackish), the bubbles become much larger, burst easily and will not carry effluent to the collection cup. There is also much less contact time with the bubbles and therefore less if any waste removed. In a more saline environment the bubbles are smaller giving much better contact time and the skimmer is more efficient.

Although I've never tried, I seriously doubt it would work in a FW environment.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom