Skimmer for new sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm putting together a new sump/fuge 34x12x16 and will be putting a skimmer in/on the sump . I'd like to get a better skimmer than the one I had in my ProClear wet/dry. My tank is 72gal.

What would you guys suggest?

There are alot of skimmers out there and you`ll most likely get many answers. I use the excalibur skimmer.

Are you planning on using an insump skimmer or an inline skimmer? Either way you go I would suggest getting a good skimmer. Since you said your tank is 72g I'm assuming it is a Bow front. I have the same tank. Currently my total system is over 120g with my sumps included. I have a recirculating inline ASM G4X on my tank (a very large skimmer) because I have a large bio-load and need so skimm heavily. With the large skimmer I have room to increase my total volume without having to upgrade skimmers. I'm not suggesting to you to get a giant skimmer or anything. The skimmer is one piece of equipment that you shouldn't skimp on. There are a lot of options out there, do a little research on them read some customer reviews and ask questions as you have before you buy. Look at ebay for good deals and check the classifieds here and on craigs list!

Hope that helps!

Every skimmer listed on liveaquaria.com is "highly recommended" by someone. This is going to be a more difficult task than I thought. Any other opinions out there?

If you go with a Euro-Reef you can't go wrong. They are among the very best skimmers out there. They are a bit higher priced then others but IMO they are worth the extra cost! For a lower cost similar skimmer the ASM series is a good option. AquaC makes excellent skimmers as well especially for inline use! You could easily pick one up on ebay for a lot less then you would pay if you ordered one from them.

As I said before what ever you decide make sure to research it and spend a little money, you will be glad you did in the long run! Cheap usually means "Cheap".

I've also heard many good things about the Euro-Reef. Same for ASM. There are many that like the AquaC remora. I have an AquaC ev series and am not too happy with it. Hard to dial in correctly. If I could do it over I'd likely go with the Euro-Reef.

Alot of recommendations depend on the money you want to spend. What is your price range?

I'm looking at a AquaC Urchin Pro with MagPro pump. Cost is just over $200.00

None available locally or on Ebay - Looks like MarineDepot will be getting the business.

Sometimes you just gotta do that...before you buy from MarineDepot...check a few other sites...you may find it cheaper somewhere else.

Ziggy953 said:
Sometimes you just gotta do that...before you buy from MarineDepot...check a few other sites...you may find it cheaper somewhere else.
;I agree. It only takes a minute to check other sites. I find Marine depot to be a little more expensive than many other sites. Try http://www.drsfostersmith.com and http://www.premiumaquatics.com. Premium Aquatics will match most prices.

No good on the Foster&Smith, I looked there first because I regularely buy my supplies there. Premium had the skimmer & MagDrive pump but not with the overflow fitting. Marine Depot got the order and shipped the same day. I'll probably have it in a day or two. Now all I have to do is finish building my sump/fuge.

Anyone know what the liquid capacity is of a 34x12x16 sump?

**UPDATE
Never mind, I found a calculator. It should hold about 28.25 gallons.

I use a CPR bak pak 2 single skimmer, its a hob...but i have it hob of my sump. It works REALLY well, I know CPR makes a double skimmer for bigger tanks, I'm sure it works twice as good! look into it.

Back
Top Bottom