Skimmer Help & Is it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50 gallon I set up 2 months ago. I have a AquaMaxx HOB-1 skimmer and omg it won't stop putting Microbubbles back in the tank. I mean alot of them and it's been going for 2 months so It's well broke in. I'm wondering is it even worth having on a small 50 gallon? Wouldn't 15 gallon water change every week be better? Is a skimmer even worth it on a 50 gallon tank? I hear Microbubbles in a reef tank are bad...

Don't need a skimmer. Frequest water changes are good and bad. Good that you are taking the bad out and putting good in, but bad because you are constantly messing with the stability of the water in the tank, which can both/disrupt coral growth.

Mircobubbles should go away. I know it seems like 2 months is a long time, but it's really not when it comes to completely breaking in every aspect of the skimmer. A lot of people fashion some kind of device with a sponge on the outlet of their skimmers so that the microbubbles are caught - or atleast- reduced to a minimum before they make it into the display tank.

I'm not familiar with that skimmer, but mine came with a sponge to put over the return that stops the bubbles from going into the tank... Is there something you could rig up?

I'm not familiar with that skimmer, but mine came with a sponge to put over the return that stops the bubbles from going into the tank... Is there something you could rig up?

Yea going to see if I can find a sponge filter return from any other model skimmers that will fit. The return sponge doesn't make the skimmer back up?

If the skimmer bubbles is bothering you right now, then consider running it only part-time when you're not around ;)

I have a 50 gallon I set up 2 months ago. I have a AquaMaxx HOB-1 skimmer and omg it won't stop putting Microbubbles back in the tank. I mean alot of them and it's been going for 2 months so It's well broke in. I'm wondering is it even worth having on a small 50 gallon? Wouldn't 15 gallon water change every week be better? Is a skimmer even worth it on a 50 gallon tank? I hear Microbubbles in a reef tank are bad...

Put a small filter sock over output

Back
Top Bottom