Skimmer necessary for FOWLR tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
After tank finished cycling. Nitrate at 20ppm, phosphate at 0.5 After first time waterchange of 50% nitrate at 10ppm and phosphate still at 0.5

Will these cause any harm to the fishes? No coral or any kind in the tank just liverocks with fishes. I am thinking of adding a skimmer to get the best water quality as possible.

I am currently using 2 canister filters at this stage for FOWLR tank. I heard that canister filter is a Nitrate factory. I will not be able to get my nitrate level down with this type of filtration. Is that true? I also heard that biological filtration is more important in a FOWLR tank otherwise the fishes will get sick very easily.

I am thinking of reduce to 1 canister filter, add 1 skimmer, plus liverocks for filtration will this be better for both FOWLR and future reef tank?

Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

For the first year I didnt have a skimmer but in looking back, I was crazy NOT to have one. They pull a LOT of gunk out of the water and also help reduce trates for sure. My trates now have never been over 10 PPM. PO4 is harder to get rid of. Might consider a phosban reactor as they are cheap and VERY efficient. I have had PO4 readings as high as 4 and no harm was done to the fish. Now I have less than .1 on the PO4 side.
Canninster filters are good, but only as good as you are at changing the media, pads, etc. That is why you see alot of people with large amts of trates is because they have these and dont tend to them as frequently as they should.
If I were you, add more LR, take the cannisters out totally, or use them to run like carbon and such. Also look at a phosban reactor ($40 or less) and for sure skimmer. I too started off wanting ONLY fish, but one year into SW, I went to corals! I predict you will too and dont know it!!!!

I am just the opposite fishman. I also have a 20g high nano and have been keeping corals in it for 1 year. The reason I set up this new 132g tank? FOWLR! I went big is because I want to get the tangs and butterfly to see them swim in such a vast space.

I am closing down my nano and want to get rid of them. They need too much attention and I have not got the time for it.

I will consider getting a skimmer though, for the fishes' shake. May be I will go reef again in future who knows. But for the time being, FOWLR, FOWLR, FOWLR...

If/when you smell what its pulling out of the pristine,clear water column you will realize it may your best aquaria purchase ever.

Really.

If I only use a Tunze 9005 skimmer and the liverocks in my tank (don’t know how much in weight but you can see my gallery) and get rid of both canister filters will I be alright? I plan to stock the followings:

10 chromis
1 yellow tang
1 o.clown
2 sleeper gobies (future)
10 dispar anthias (future)

Will a single skimmer manage to keep it up with the filtration? Or I’d better keep 1 canister filter which I can also run some medias through it.

Will this setup also be alright for possible future reef tank if I decided to do one?

PS/ my tank is a 132g 6ft tank.

I can't say exactly...I'm only a few monthes into the SW side myself,All I know about what you have asked is a skimmer is GREAT tool.

Research it based on your needs.I'm only saying you will be glad you have one imo.

I see. Thanks anyway.

I used to have one skimmer for my 20g nano, now get ready... it was a PRIZM and it didn't even skim much and make a heck loads of noise. May be my stocking was on the low side. One clown only with lots of softies. But still I didn't like to noise it made, drove me nuts.

The Tunze 9005 is an in-tank type should make less noise I think. Will buy this right away...

For about the first 18 months of my tank (with and without corals) I didn't have a skimmer. The nitrates were never over 0ppm after my cycle had run its course... though I was very particular to add fish very slowly.

I now have a skimmer and to be honest the efficiency of mine is less than what I'd expect to be acceptable, yet my amonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate levels are all 0ppm.

IMO The skimmer is a very good choice for your tank. They help to remove DOC`s from your water that end up as nitrates in your tank. Get one that is rated for your tank. One thing I would do if you take your canisters out(which I agree) is take them out one at a time. Take one out now and the other in a month so as not to be a big shock to the system.

Back
Top Bottom