Skimmer Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi all. i finally got a new wooden airstone for my skimmer, i was using one of those small blue cylinder ones. and now ive been lookin around online and thinking about how i could tune up my skimmer. ive also been wondering about trying to make a skimmer for my 55gallon. so here are a few questions...

why shouldnt i just turn the air pump up all the way and get a ton of bubbles going and have the waste water drained?

would another wooden airstone benefit my skimmer?

does bubble size affect the skimming? and if so what is the best type of airstone avalable?

could i make a diy skimmer out of a hob filter?

theres a few to start tihs off, i forgot a few others but im sure theyll pop into my head soon.
TIA!

why shouldnt i just turn the air pump up all the way and get a ton of bubbles going and have the waste water drained?
You can. Just have enough new saltwater available to replace what was lost.
would another wooden airstone benefit my skimmer?
It depends on how much air is going thru it now and the size of the neck on the skimmer. The diameter of the neck helps determine how much air the skimmer can handle.
does bubble size affect the skimming? and if so what is the best type of airstone avalable?
Yes. The smaller the better. I haven't used an air driven skimmer in about 15 years so I have no idea who even makes wooden air blocks now. If you can find limewood, you can make your own.
could i make a diy skimmer out of a hob filter?
Probably, but chances are it won't be very efficient.

thanks. I was thinking about just getting a whole new skimmer but they ain't cheap. So I think I'll try to mid mine and hook it up to a drain line and put another wooden airstone in. I have the extra pump, I just need another airstone and more air line tubing. I think it'll be much more efficient that way and that'll make me need to have a constant supply of sw cuz I only make it for one day a week.
Thanks again. Still taking any thoughts/suggestions.
Ph and for the hob skimmer idea, I think I'm going to mod it into a two sided refuge.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom