Skimmerless for a week or so?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would it be okay to go skimmerless on my tank for a week or so? I want to put it on my new 50 gal to help clean it up a little bit before I go and put any corals or fish in it. TIA!

Melosu- A couple of days or weeks? I'm sure you mean days but I'm just making sure.

FF- No I just run my skimmer and LR. I do have a bio wheel (old and not using), but that is kinda useless for the purpose that I need.

IMO, you should be fine w/o a skimmer for a week. Just feed your fish once per 2 or 3 days to minimize the amount of DOC.

If your profile is correct, your bioload is pretty light. I don't think being skimmerless for a bit will hurt. Some don't use them at all.

Yeah my profile is up to date. I could feed every two or three days and be fine I think. I barely get anything out of my skimmer as it is. The only thing I am worried about is my clam and any other of my corals being too sensitive to wait out the week with out a skimmer. Do you think they'll be fine?

many people go for very long times without skimmers

the main thing to remember is that, without having any form of filtration at that point (besides the live sand and rock) you really have to pay attention to what and how much you feed and make sure you do your PWC's.

I have a friend with a perfect tank, with perfect water, and he has not run a skimmer or any other filter besides the LR and LS for over 2 years.

Awesome! Thanks for the help. Actually I'm thinking of acclimating my clowns to my big tank to help take care of some of that bioload. Good idea or not?

Taking care of the bioload from my 29 gal. I'm switching everything over to my 50 gal. I'm just doing it REALLY slowly so I dont loose anything in the process. I'm talking about taking my skimmer off of my 29 gal and putting it on my 50 gal. Then taking my clowns from my 29 gal and putting them in the new 50 gal which is where their home will be adventually anyway. My question is, would it be okay to put my clowns in now or should I give the skimmer some time to clean up before I put them in?

Back
Top Bottom