Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinky77

Aquarium Advice Activist
I guys and gals a short one for you's do i need a skimmer i have read diferent articles on this i only have a 20g reef tank with two fish four corals water parameters are always fine once a week water change basicely no probs would i benefit from introducing one or should i just stick to the weekly cleaning dutys and if so what would be the best skimmer to use ( hang on back that is ) cheers ...?

I've always heard people on here say that for a tank <30 gallons, a skimmer is "more" optional than on bigger tanks. If you feel so inclined as to get one, the Octopus HOB skimmer seems to get the best reviews.

That being said - I've also heard that a adding a skimmer won't hurt anything, and you will see some benefit.

Most skimmers for that size tank aren't worth their cost, a water change will do more. If you decide you want to use one and go with the smallest HOB it will be worth it, just don't go for one of the internal or nano skimmers.

In that size tank water changes are more important, slacking on them will cause problems.

I have red up on the hob they say they are a bit noisy also read up on the deltec model which is silent as some reports sugest i live in ireland and i dont think any of my lfs stock i also see that they are big in the us do you use one yourself ....?

I would have to say that as long as you do your weekly water changes and dont overfeed obscenely you can do just fine without a skimmer. I run a 4g and 29g cube without one and they are doing just fine.

The selection of nano skimmers is also short and most of them don't have good reviews, so I'd save the money and get something cool for your tank instead.

Yea was thinking that lol i havent used one in two years ad all good i just like to get good info from you guys and gals which is always the case many thanks everyone talk soon and keep safe ....?

Well I use a deltec MCE 300 and if you can show me a better HOB for a 300 litre and under tank I'll eat my hat and yours.

Back
Top Bottom