Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enygma_0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am about to go out and purchase a skimmer. I was contemplating (if my wife doesn't kill me first) of spending some more cash on my aquarium.

My dillemas are this: I need to get a PC (as I am currently only running a 24" 50/50 flourescent) and really need a retro for my canopy 100-120$ and as well I want to get a skimmer. I can get a seaclone for under 60$ online at drsfostersmith.com and stay under my 200$ limit. However I have heard everyone here say great things about the remora skimmer, but 160$ puts me 100$ over my budget. Is it worth the 100$ for the remora vs. the seaclone 100?

I am putting this in my 29g tank which was recently setup about 2 mos. ago.

skip the seaclone. it is not worth any thing. one skimmer (the one i just got) and the price not that bad is the aqua medic turoflotor 1000. but that might be a little over kill for a 29 gal tank. the skimmer is rated for tanks up to 250.

seaclones arent as "bad" as people make them out to be, i have one on my 55 and it pulls green goup out at a rate of one cup a week religiously. I bet it will do pretty good on a 29, seeing as some people will even go skimmerless on a 29.

well hehe I still have to ask the wife what she wants to do roflol

If i could do it all over again i would have went the extra 80 bucks to get the remora, i have a prizm right now which is at best OK, dont try to make shortcuts because you may regret them later, i would go with the remora but its up to you.

I have a SeaClone, and yes, it works, but no, it is not an easy to setup/use skimmer. I am planning on upgrading as soon as I get my lights done to an AquaC EV-120. I will give you my SeaClone for the cost of shipping after I upgrade, I hate it that much!!!

Joshua...

I have a prizm. It works...but I think it's under powered on my 40 gallon. It pulls gunk out, but I still have algae problems.
then again the tank's only just barely 2.5 months old...so it's young and immature.

I got a Remora C and I like. It was very easy to setup, just plug it in. The break in period for the Remora took about a week before it really started to skim.

nyghtone said:
I have a SeaClone, and yes, it works, but no, it is not an easy to setup/use skimmer. I am planning on upgrading as soon as I get my lights done to an AquaC EV-120. I will give you my SeaClone for the cost of shipping after I upgrade, I hate it that much!!!

Joshua...

odd I rarely have to fiddle with mine, in fact I havent touched it in the last month or two. Just empty cup, place cup back on skimmer. No crazy algea blooms, besides one two day diatom surge. I am thinking about upgrading, but so far nitrates are 0 and my water is very clear. The question now is, is upgrading worth the cash if everything seems to be working well.

i have had nothing but problems with my seaclone skimmer. i had for a couple months on a 25 before i pulled it off. i adjusted it and adjusted it but not once did i ever get any skimmate. got a used cpr and it works fine. stay away from seaclone, its a hit or miss.

my prizm finally did the 'overflow' thing last night. luckily when it got super full, it seemed to bog down the motor a little, so I heard it, and rushed to see what was up.
It does look like it dumped skimmate back into the water though. :(

luckily I had a water change schedule for today.

I agree.....I had a Bak Back for the last year and it was great in the begining. But it stopped producing the alot of skimmate. I used to empty it once every other day or so. Now I could probable go a couple of weeks without having to empty it out. Plus, the airlines are a pain to keep from getting clogged with calcium and other junk. I just bought a Remora today. It still has to break in before i see it skim, but I already love it! Its much quieter and looks alot nicer!

Back
Top Bottom