Slime Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfm224

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a slime algae problem. I turned off the lights completely for a couple of days and it seems to be going away. Will the algae return once I turn my lights on again? Besides a water change anything I can do?

37 g
20 lbs live rock
2" DSB
CPR Bak Pak 2 Skimmer
2 x 65 W PC (dual daylight + dual actinic)
1200 Maxijet powerhead

pH: 8.3 (w/ sea chem buffer)
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 0

2 false percula clowns
4 turbo snails
3 blue legs
1 red leg
emerald green crab

I am having the same problem with my new 150gal. The slime seems to go away overnight, but it comes back after a few hours of the lights being on. I just did a water change and the slime is still there. The lfs in my area recommended some tablets that apparently work but I don't have the name of them. I will post the results if I give it a try.

Slime algae (cyanobacteria) can be a real headache! A persistant approach is needed in order to rid the aquarium of this pest. Cyanobacteria comes to feed on excess nutrients in the aquarium, mostly phosphate and nitrate. It needs nutrients in order to survive and grow. I would first consider asking your LFS to test your water for phosphate and nitrate. If phosphate or nitrate is a problem, using RODI or distilled water for water changes and topoff water will help. A properly functioning protein skimmer will remove DOC's from the water column and prevent algal and cyano blooms. If phosphate is considerably high, you may want to consider using a phosphate absorbing product such as RowaPhos.

Also cyano seems to grow best in areas of low water flow. Consider increasing the amount of flow in the tank to prevent "dead spots."

If all else fails, consider the age of your aquarium bulbs. Old bulbs can emit a different spectrum of light than they were intended to do so which could encourage the growth of cyano. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom