Slimey water on top of reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rambo1224

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 6ft high 150 gal cylinder artificial reef tank that filters to a live rock sump in my basement. I also have a reef octopus skimmer in the sump. The tank has good circulation but the water on the very top is very slimey/bubbly, in fact its almost like oily spots in the water. What can I do for this? Do I need a powerhead on the top of the tank or is there something I can add to the tank (chemical or fish/inverts) to help.

thanks

Attachments

• tank_top.JPG
    tank_top.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 92
Is it from the food?? I read to point your powerheads up. So far so good for us.

Is it from the food?? I read to point your powerheads up. So far so good for us.

No, I don't think it from the food as the slimey film seems to be in there all the time.

I'm only a newbie, but I have the same problem. My LFS told me this is protein and that I probably don't have enough surface agitation. I'm waiting for my powerhead to turn up and hopefully solve the problem.

I have a durso pipe in the overflow, so the elbow where the water goes is a few inches under the water

Is your drain inside an overflow box though? I would try a powerhead pointed toward the surface aimed toward your overflow to force the surface water into it. Sometimes if your return comes from the same place as your overflow it can keep the surface water away from it. Hopefully you can understand my rambling.

ok, can you recommend a good powerhead for that? The tank is a 27.5 diameter acrylic cylinder, 150 gal. Everything would have to be mounted inside

thanks

A maxi-jet would work. You just want to get the surface gunk moving around so it can get skimmed off by your overflow box. You could try moving your return lines if they can be moved first. I have mine pointed towards the surface in my tank, but my wavebox does most of the water movement.

Put it in today and have it pointing up to the surface. The tank looks amazing with the blues now, you can see the water moving. Little things like that amaze me, teehee!

Back
Top Bottom