Small anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

possum

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know what kind of anemone this is? You can see a big anemone to the right but im talking about the little one. Thanks.

Hey possum, I edited your post to show the pic "inline" the sized pic is a link to the full sized pic, for those on broadband, or dialuppers willing to wait a few minutes ;)

I waited, if I hadn't looked at the full size image, I would have had no idea what it was. It looks like a species of non-photosynthetic mushroom commonly found on Florida Aquacultured LR. Pseudocorynactis cribbeorum
Here is a pic of one of mine...
DSCN4827.jpg

RR - awesome pic. I agree on the ID! Good call - I had looked at it, and didn't have a clue - didn't realize the pic was a link to a higher rez. Txs!

Thanks and i do believe you hit the nail on the head! Do you know of any websites with info on this critter? I have at least 7 or 8 of them in my tank.

Well, if you put the scientific name in google, it comes back with one hit, to a post on this site, LOL. I have no links on it, maybe Teri has something ;)

Hehehe...

There isn't much info. out there on these. I do know that they are not photosynthetic, and will eat meaty foods - don't typically spread to pest proportions.

Here's one that looks a liitle more like yours:

SegarA3258.jpg

From here: >>Reefimages.com<<

There is a little info. on them in this article, but IMO, it makes them out to be a bit more 'predatory' than they really are:

>>Mushrooms, Elephants Ears, and False Corals: A review of the Corallimorpharia<< ~ AQUARIUM INVERTEBRATES by JULIAN SPRUNG

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom