Small angels/Reef Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevecarter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gal reef with an assortment of soft corals, and a few LPS. I also have two anemones, a mated pair of maroon clowns, a blue tang, a lawnmower and bicolor blenny. I was wondering if it would be possible to add an angel to the tank (they are just so damn pretty). I've heard they can pick on corals, and I was wondering if anybody has had any success keeping an angel in a reef tank. I was thinking specifically Koran, Coral Beauty, or Flame angels. Thanks for any suggestions.

They are kind of hit and miss as a species. Some people will have no problems, and others will have nothing but with the same breed. I have a CB in mine, and so far no problems.

Hehehe, I get off work at about 3am and don't get to bed until around 5-6. All my posts are in oh-god:30. :D

I have a coral beauty and a flame angel in two of my tanks with no problem of nipping. The coral beauty has been with corals for over three years now with no issues.

Now with that said I know someone who has had 3 flame angels over the life of his tank and the last flame that he got developed a taste for his birds nest coral to such a degree that the coral was beng killed off by the flame. Thus the flame had to be removed.

As as you can see its very hit or miss based upon the individual angel. Historically they have been classified as NOT reef safe because of this hit or miss issue.

Back
Top Bottom