Small regal tang...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS has just got some very small regal tangs in, approx 1.5" long.

He's advised that I could keep one in my 35gal tank as long as there's good filtration, hiding places and good, stable water chemistry etc. until it gets too big for the tank.

Then, when it gets too big (I'm guessing "too big" would be about 4"+) he'll take him back and swop him for another smaller fish, perhaps with me making a profit if he's in good condition when I take him back.

Do you guys agree with this?

My tank is 35gal, has an ocellaris clown, royal gramma and bangaii cardinal in it (along with a selection of shrimps and crabs), a large Eheim wet/dry canister filter, and good stable water chemistry.

What do you think? I really like this fish! :)

Cheers,

Mark

it's great that the LFS will swap the tang out but that's easier said than done. It's a pain to catch a healthy fish.

I'm going to say that you really shouldn't put a tang in.

Agree with klam. The lfs will say anything to make a sell....well most of them. If you were able to keep it that long you would be torn to have to take your pet back to the store. :wink:

I know it would be difficult to part with him when it was time to take him back...

But as far as being able to keep him, even if only until he gets to a certain size, will my tank be able to cater for him well enough, considering size etc.?

But as far as being able to keep him, even if only until he gets to a certain size, will my tank be able to cater for him well enough, considering size etc.?
Sorry to say down the line you would have many problems with this fish in a 35.
First of all, I have seen these fish as adults that were a full 9". This fish would perish in such a small system well before it matured. Tangs need a lot of swimming room, a 90 gallon is really the minimum for a hippo.
Not to mention the water quality issue down the road.
I would highly advise against it.

Hey Mark, I didn't know that was you at first. How have you been? Long time!! :p

I also say no to getting the tang for this tank. IMO the smallest tank any tang should be placed in (other than for quarantine) is a 75 gallon. JMO, Skip

I had the same conversation with my LFS here! It's a beautiful fish and I have to admit I was tempted, but I didn't do it. My question is, how long would it take a 1.5 regal tang to grow to 4 inches? to 9 inches?

DJ

Can anyone advise the min tank size for a yellow tang? I have a 46 gallon bow with 60lbs of LR, Remora Pro skimmer, and canister filter (no media inside).

thanks,

Don

Hi Quarryshark - it has been ages!

I'm doing good, royal gramma going in this week then I'm thinking about my 4th and final fish. Dunno what yet though! :)

I'd say more like 75 gallons... liveaquaria is skewed toward smaller tank sizes. Think of it this way, that tang can get 8 inches long, that means in a 55 gallon tank you only have 4 inches to turn around and swim...

Back
Top Bottom