snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
recently, i noticed tons of tiny white creatures (less than a pinhead) suspended in my water, some of them are now clinging to the sides of the tank. Also noticed little groups of what appears to be eggs (clusters of bubbly masses, not squiggly strings) on parts of my live rock. It resembles eggs that freshwater snails laid when I did freshwater. Are these likely snail eggs, and larvae? should I be worried about them? any idea of the species? most importantly, could this be a sign of good water conditions?

The critters suspended in your water should like copepods. The jelly masses could be snail eggs. What types of snails do you have in the tank?

Gads, I really should proof read my posts. Nassarius snails lay in jelly type orbs on rocks. Perhaps that's what they are. The way I understand it though (from steve-s) is that nassarius snails go through a planktonic (did I say that right?) state and normally don't survive in the home aquarium. Cerith's are the ones who lay in ribbons, not sure about astrea.

My astreas appear to have a planktonic state. I have witnessed their eggs hatching and my mandarin goes crazy on the young which appear to swim around.

Back
Top Bottom